What's wrong with MAME32?

Gryph

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hell Yeah! MAME kicks ass! There is no other emulator out there that can play so many classic as well as hard to find arcade games then this baby! I mean, I love Kawaks, and to a lesser extent NRX, but only MAME can play Do Don Pachi! And for this reason alone, it's the bomb! B)

P.S. Anybody know where to get MAME32.79? And not from MAMEWorld either. :(

Edited by Thunder In Paradise

please make sure you post new topics in the correct area of the Forum. this topic has now been moved to the Mame Emulation Section.

Oh yeah. I forgot. Thanks for moving it. I'll try to avoid the error.

Mame runs to slow for me. Eventually when I get a new computer, I'll use Mame, but also keep using other emus like NRX and Kawaks. One gripe I have about Mame is all the different sets for one game. Its mind boggling!! But that's only a small somplaint, and being that it emulates so many games on different systems, I can understand. And it is a little bit more complex than say NRX or FB.

Well, what's wrong with MAME in general, it blows.

It has no features on it that the other emulators don't have, besides running all those games on random arcade machines that nobody ever plays anyway, and its interface sucks. You can't add in external dat files, you have to compile your own version with built in drivers, which are harder to make. I fixed KOF2003 last night, and I had to download a program to get the SHA1 for the s1 file I fixed, so I could make a new driver for KOF2003. I compiled my own version of mame32 plus to run it on, because as much as I hate mame, I love KOF. If you want to know how I did it, check the thread here. Some of the mame lovers might appreciate this. People like me will just see it as hassle... the only reason I did it anyway is because programming is easy for me and also I'm stubborn.

Anyway, in final answer to your question, MAME really doesn't have anything bad about it except for its interface and the fact that to add new games instead of copying and pasting a dat file you have to make a driver and recompile mame, but it doesn't have anything better about it than the other EMU's, and still many more people use it. Why, I have no idea. Compiling mame every time you need to add a new game, is not for programming n00bs... it would be hard for them to do copying and pasting. If they just downloaded an already compiled version, that's like a 6 meg download every time which is annoying to. I've compiled mame32 plus. It's supposed to have many advanced features... I see none. The interface is crappy, especially the games list, because mame can't sort them into neat columns, it leaves them all jumbled to high hell. So why the hell do people use it? (Referring to the people who like mame, and aren't using it to play KOF2003 because they have no other choice.)

By the way, don't try to say MAME being able to play KOF2003 makes it better. It can't play 2003 on its own, you have to compile it yourself. If Nebula or Kawaks were open source, I could compile them to run it too; the reason adding dat fiels won't work is because KOF2003 uses different rom banking, so the internal universal driver to go along with dats uses different rom banking than KOF2003, so it won't work. By the way, Nebula and Kawaks are BOTH compiled in C and C++ (the two most advanced programming languages... also the best.)

[EDIT]I forgot to answer that question about mame using more resources. Yes, it does. I don't know as far as memory goes, probably yes because it's language isn't that efficient, but what I'm referring to is hard drive space. These resources aren't a problem for me, I have a 3.00 GB processor, 1024 MB RAM, 78 GIG hard drive etc, but I mean, I saved a state last night on KOF2003, and I checked in hte folder. The SAVE STATE was 8.85 MB. On Nebula and Kawaks, save states are like... a few dozen KB's if that. I mean, think about it. If you compile mame without using UPX packer, it's 24 MB. With packer it's 6 MB. One save state is practically twice the size of the damn emulator. That's ridiculous.

Edited by cosmic_lord

Hell Yeah! MAME kicks ass! There is no other emulator out there that can play so many classic as well as hard to find arcade games then this baby! I mean, I love Kawaks, and to a lesser extent NRX, but only MAME can play Do Don Pachi! And for this reason alone, it's the bomb! ;)

P.S. Anybody know where to get MAME32.79? And not from MAMEWorld either. :rolleyes:

To compile your own MAME.079 check the thread here. This includes adding the FIXED driver for KOF2003, because if you fix a bug in KOF2003 you have to update its driver as well.

If you just want to download it, that won't do you much good. As far as I know, there ARE people stupid enough to want to play all their games on MAME and compile it to do such, but normally these aren't distributed, and if they are, their descriptions are usually very limited, making them difficult to search for on the net. I suggest compiling it yourself which is very easy to do... it takes like 30 mins to learn how from scratch... but then again if you got hit on the head hard enough that you actually want to play all games on MAME, brain damage might keep you from being able to compile.

Well, what's wrong with MAME in general, it blows.

It has no features on it  that the other emulators don't have, besides running all those games on random arcade machines that nobody ever plays anyway, and its interface sucks.  You can't add in external dat files, you have to compile your own version with built in drivers, which are harder to make.  I fixed KOF2003 last night, and I had to download a program to get the SHA1 for the s1 file I fixed, so I could make a new driver for KOF2003.  I compiled my own version of mame32 plus to run it on, because as much as I hate mame, I love KOF.  If you want to know how I did it, check the thread here.  Some of the mame lovers might appreciate this.  People like me will just see it as hassle... the only reason I did it anyway is because programming is easy for me and also I'm stubborn.

Anyway, in final answer to your question, MAME really doesn't have anything bad about it except for its interface and the fact  that to add new games instead of copying and pasting a dat file you have to make a driver and recompile mame, but it doesn't have anything better about it than the other EMU's, and still many more people use it.  Why, I have no idea.  Compiling mame every time you need to add a new game, is not for programming n00bs... it would be hard for them to do copying and pasting.  If they just downloaded an already compiled version, that's like a 6 meg download every time which is annoying to.  I've compiled mame32 plus.  It's supposed to have many advanced features... I see none.  The interface is crappy, especially the games list, because mame can't sort them into neat columns, it leaves them all jumbled to high hell.  So why the hell do people use it?  (Referring to the people who like mame, and aren't using it to play KOF2003 because they have no other choice.)

By the way, don't try to say MAME being able to play KOF2003 makes it better.  It can't play 2003 on its own, you have to compile it yourself.  If Nebula or Kawaks were open source, I could compile them to run it too; the reason adding dat fiels won't work is because KOF2003 uses different rom banking, so the internal universal driver to go along with dats uses different rom banking than KOF2003, so it won't work.  By the way, Nebula and Kawaks are BOTH compiled in C and C++ (the two most advanced programming languages... also the best.)

[EDIT]I forgot to answer that question about mame using more resources.  Yes, it does.  I don't know as far as memory goes, probably yes because it's language isn't that efficient, but what I'm referring to is hard drive space.  These resources aren't a problem for me, I have a 3.00 GB processor, 1024 MB RAM, 78 GIG hard drive etc, but I mean, I saved a state last night on KOF2003, and I checked in hte folder.  The SAVE STATE was 8.85 MB.  On Nebula and Kawaks, save states are like... a few dozen KB's if that.  I mean, think about it.  If you compile mame without using UPX packer, it's 24 MB.  With packer it's 6 MB.  One save state is practically twice the size of the damn emulator.  That's ridiculous.

Very insightful. I haven't dabbled at all with MAME. All I do is open it up and double click on KOF2003. I haven't even tried to explore it. The interface is crap.

What's wrong with MAME? Nothing much really. Yes, the interface could use a new facelift, seeing as how this is the 79th release of the emulator. But also, MAME is the ONLY emulator that can play all the great arcade games, new and old. The only things the Kawaks (gotta love it!) and Nebula play, are basically Neo Geo and Capcom games from the last 6-8 years. I personally love MAME since it's the only way to play all the awesome vertical shooters that AREN'T EVEN RELEASED ON ANY OTHER SYSTEM, let alone in any other country. That's why I like it, because it has a jillion games that are only playable in MAME, and no, they're not just old crap games that nobody plays. :P