Mame 32 Issue

I have a P4 2.53ghz processor, 1024mb ddr ram and an nvidia geforce4 ti4200. I listed those in the order that is most important for mame emulation.

Anyway, I had all games running perfectly using a configuration that suited me for the first year and a half of owning the PC.

Lately when running games such as the KOF series, SF Alpha and even Super SF2 and Art of Fighting 1 :) the sound is cracklng and frames are being dropped.

My mame configuration is using RGB sharp effects (which I need :lol: ) but this still ran every game (3D games aside, obviously) perfectly.

My question is how the heck can the performance suddenly change overnight? I've tried restarting and playing mame before doing anything else but it is still the same.

Can someone please explain this problem and hopefully suggest a solution.

Help would be much appreciated.

Thank You.

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

I spent all yesterday working out what the problem was. It turns out I had a ton of spyware/adware :lol: and gawd knows what else, running in the background which started itself up by default everytime Windows started. So, the problem is fixed now, thanks.

MAME is back!! :)

Being a beginner with PC's I didn't think I'd be able to eliminate the problem without any outside suggestions. Proves what I know!

Just thought I'd write up what the problem was in case anyone else discovers MAME running much slower than normal.

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

For those who have a slower PC or are doing heavy things at the same time (well even for everyone), there is an option you should check: Options menu -> Interface options -> Emulation -> High thread priority

I had occasionaly a few dropped frames before checking it, now it's as smooth as possible :P