Someone help me w my DVD burner (LITE ON LDW-411s)

random guy

Whoa, someone help! I just got a LITE-ON LDW-411S dvd-rw recorder... my computer recognises the drive, and I can use it to view/play DVDs and CDs, I can even use the software it came with to burn to a DVD...but whenever I put a blank DVD in the drive, in "My Computer" the drive name changes from "DVD-RW drive" to "CD drive", hence I can't use any external programs to burn to a DVD (even Clony XXL :P

Anyone had/fixed a similar problem, or has any advice for me? A quick web-search revealed that other people have had this problem, other people who had different brand name DVD recorders to me. However they had no ideas, only requests for help.

Help! :D

Thought i would add an update here as I have had some progress which might interest fellow newcomers to the DVD-burning scene.

Okay, XP is still refusing to recognise my burner as such whenever I have a blank DVD in there. However, it seems like any external programs with DVD burning support CAN recognise and write to the drive.

Using AnyDVD and CloneDVD I managed to burn a copy of disc 2 of our season one box-set of Futurama. AnyDVD is an awesome virtual driver program which runs automatically in the background, and disables the macromedia (?) encoding on the disc, so not only can you watch all-zone DVDs on your computer through your DVD drive, you can also use an external program to burn to a DVD.

For instance, when I tried running CloneDVD to burn Futurama, it popped up and told me that CloneDVD does not copy encoded discs...as soon as I configured anyDVD and tried again, CloneDVD recognised the disc and let me burn it!

The resulting disc worked on every DVD player in the house, including (amazingly) my PS2!

Okay so the next step is to figure out how to burn PS2 DVDs...does anyone know of a version of ClonyXXL which supports CloneDVD? Is CloneCD supposed to be able to write to DVDs coz it can't on my system. I will have a mod-chip soon so will be able to play burned DVDs....if anyone could help me with burning them it'd be much appreciated

Edit: presumably the resulting DVDs are "region Zero" (meaning they can be played on any DVD player!)

Edited by random guy