1964 v.0.9.9 ..the story about a swindle!!

cloud79

Hi guys!!

Following the title of this topic, we will speak about a console that never had success, and that today it seems to be "cursed" for all the emulation promises, that never had been attended..

We are talking about N64 and just about the last emulator.. 1964 v.0.9.9

Until today there were a few number of N64 emulators, first of all UltraHLE, however these emulators were slow, poor, and full of video and audio bugs, except for some games such as Super Mario 64, Mario Kart 64 and Ocarina of Time..

Then I abandoned the N64 emulation scene about a year ago, like I think you did too..

And so here we are, it was September 2003 when it begins to hear rumors about a new definitive emulator, that soon would be blow away all the other rivals.. and it would have perfectly emulated ALL N64 games!!!

To increase curiosity and attentions of all people, it was said that the project was "secret" and developed by some "mysterious" programmers.. and so I start to taste the possibility to play several games such as Killer Instinct Gold, Paper Mario and others...

Then, after a few weeks, here the first screenshots about the though work of the 1964 team.. marvelous and superb images, that show how all N64 games were perfectly emulated!!

However I discovered that the emulator was in a "beta-testing" phase, and only a few lucky people could play and test the games, so in a forum it starts to appear damned good images about 1080 SnowBoarding, Perfect Dark, Pokémon Stadium 2, F-Zero X, etc.

After 3 months, here the official release, it was January the first. Finally I download it, I refresh roms list, and joy and happiness takes my body!! So I launch Killer Instinct Gold, the status of the game says Playable!!...but... what's wrong?!? the game is slow, suffers of a low frame rate, and above all it SU**S!! So I ask myself if I have video drivers and DirectX last updated.. but the answer is affermative!! Maybe it is a wrong plug-in setting?? but in the options all seems correct, I've Rice 5.2.0 plugins and I try to change some settings like Direct3D, OpenGL, Fine Texture Mapping, Force Linear Filtering.. but the changes doesn't affect anything.. the game is UGLY!!! :)

So I try another game, Paper Mario, but first of all audio is missing... and the floor and the 80% of the textures are Black!!! :(

So with the latest remaining strenghts, I launch 1080 SnowBoarding.. the presentation is good, and after I select the snowboarder in a missing background.. I start to play.. but.. what's wrong again??? it seems to have a snow wall in front of him during all the gameplay... :(

So, Joy changes in ANGRY :), and I would send an e-mail to the autor and say F**K YOU!!!

However, I return in myself, and I decide to write this post of indictment and anti-advertising against the first great swindle of the year.. 1964!!!

So I've personally tested a lot of games, creating the related REAL screenshots, and here is my review:

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

1964 ver, 0.9.9 - Nintendo 64 Emulator

Tested on the following computers:

Intel Pentium 4 2,4 Ghz

RAM 512 MB DDR 333

HD Seagate 60 GB ATA133 7200Rpm

nVidia GeForce 4 Ti4600 Ultra 128 MB DDR

Microsoft Windows XP Professional SP1a

Direct X 9.0b end

nVidia DetonatorXP 52.16

------------------------------------------------------

Intel Pentium 4 3,06 Ghz HT

RAM 1024 MB DDR 400

HD Maxtor 120 GB ATA133 7200Rpm

nVidia GeForce FX 5600 128 MB DDR

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition SP1

Direct X 9.0

nVidia DetonatorXP 53.03

:::::::::: ScreenShots ::::::::::

Config:

config.gif

The following shots were made from games that the emulator itself shows in the status as Playable!!

1080 SnowBoarding: Playable?? yes if we don't consider the huge graphic problems...

1080snowboarding01.gif1080snowboarding02.jpg

All Star Tennis '99: Is that a play court??

allstartennis9901.gif

Army Men Sarge Heroes: Wonderful polygonal models and Gourad Shading... but where are the Textures???

Armymensarge01.jpgArmymensarge02.jpg

For other images.. see the following link:

Click Here

I leave you.. all the possible comments...

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1964 does not claim to run all games perfectly. If you read this anywhere, you read it from a source that has nothing to do with the actual creation of the emulator. Take at face value, ONLY what you read from an emulators official site, in this case HERE

That said, Project 64 is STILL better IMHO, and the authors of any emulator owe you NOTHING, as you aren't paying them to do this, and they do it of their own free will, on their spare time.

"Playable" does not = Perfect

Results vary and opinion on how "playable" a game is, is just that. Opinion.

P.S. 1964 is not a new emulator by any means. It's been around for years.

Dude, i have a feeling your not telling the truth here, or else something is messed up with your emulater, or else your really only testing them games on a low end pc with around a 16mb gfx card, cos 1080 plays perfect on my 1964 emu and alot of other games you said too. so something is going wrong here, and anyway imo the best n64 emu out atm is project 64, it runs alot of n64 games really good, and like what was already said, you have no rights to complain, the guys that made 1964 are doing it in there own free time and for "FREE", so if you think you could do better go and try it.

Who cares if its for free, it should be good.

I understand what the guys getting at and he does not need that.

Like you pay tax...

He wants a working emu and it does not work for him when he has read it does work...

So take in to consideration before you get snappy back.

emsley

If he's confused between playable and "perfect" then he has no right to be that angry at aurthors,

besides, cinder is right.

the writers owe him nothing.

yes it should be good, but i don't think they'd get the release right on the first try

besides he should take into considerations that some roms are badly dumped.

(like most hybrid heaven roms)

:blink:

Once more, this has to be said: you don't pay for it, so if it's not working well enough for you, just write your own emulator! :D

Do you think your huge work of reading about it and trying it is harder than the author's?

And like cinder said, it's not anywhere new.

Well it is facts and thats why its been said, it doesn't say anywhere that playable =perfect. it means that the games works, plus i also know for a fact that 1080 does "WORK" on 1964, so ether he has a bad rom, or else his comp isen't what his making it out to be.

Edited by zero129

Anyone notice that he has still not replied back to any of our posts??, maybe its cos he knew he was gought out by saying 1964 is only new? <_<, or maybe its cos he was cought out about saying he was running them on a big fast high end pc when really he was proberly only running them on a p2 with a 16mb gfx card, and then he thought thats the way it was gonna run even on a high end system with gfx missing etc so ill just say my pc is dead powerfull :P, or maybe it was cos he had a bad dump of the rom and found a good one and found out that its really working ok, and that his whole post was just dumb?, or maybe its all of the above :P, i mean he says the games are not going, but on my 1964 running on an athlon 1800+ with 384mbs ram, and a geforce 4 ti 4200 gfx card they run perfect, and then he is trying to say the roms are missing textures and everything on his run?, so its ether he was lying about his pc or else he must have a bad dump of each one of them roms.

I run it on the xbox and those games run just fine...operator error i suspect.

Exactly, the XBOX has limited RAM and power compared to today's PCs and it runs some of those games he lists just fine. For example, I have played Paper Mario on my XBOX and, yes, sometimes some of the textures will turn black (still very playable), but the sound works great... yet this guy claims to hear no sound at all.