Video Card

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey everyone check this out.

ati.jpg

"POWERCOLOR RADEON 9000PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 4X AGP, Model "RV25A-C3" -RETAIL"

"POWERCOLOR RADEON 9000PRO Video Card, 128MB DDR, DVI/TV-Out, 4X AGP, Model "RV25A-C3" -RETAIL

Specifications:

Chipset/Core Speed: RADEON 9000PRO/275MHz

Memory/Effective Speed: 128MB DDR/500MHz

BUS: AGP 1X/2X/4X

Ports: VGA Out(15 Pin D-Sub)+TV-Out(S-Video)+DVI connector

Support 3D API: DirectX®8.1, OpenGL®1.3

Cable/Accessories: VGA via DVI Adapter, 3 Cables, Driver CD, Manual

Max Resolution@32bit Color: 2048X1536@75Hz

Retail box(see pics for details)"

What you think?

is it R O X Y ?

Oh my PC specs seeing as you asked are.

Athalon 1800XP

KT3 ultra motherboard [a dam fine motherboard]

Radeon pro 9600 :-]

512 RAM [Oh ya!]

80 GB main drive

120 GB storage drive.

And ADSL connection...

Thats it really oh i have a super speaker set up but there cramped in... cant get full effect from them.

-VIOLENCE-, that's a 9000 pro. I don't know what you have at the moment, but the 9000 is quite old-hat (pre-dates the big changes that were introduced with the 9600 and 9800). As for your AGP being maxed at 4x, that's no problem. Currently, cards which take advantage of 8x AGP really don't offer that much of an increase over when they're installed on mobos with 4x AGP.

If money is no object, go for the Radeon 9800 XT. If money is most certainly an object, go with a Radeon 9600 Pro.

NVIDIA appears to be losing the race as of late, becoming the new 3Dfx if you will. I can't really recommend an NVIDIA card unless you're also planning to run Linux and there's problems with ATI's Linux drivers (and I believe both companies have spotty support for Linux, but this may not even be an issue for you).

to the guy who wanted to know how his computer would handle half life 2:

Grab that video card in addition to another half-gig of RAM. You'll notice improvements system-wide.

And since this is the thread where we give our tech specs...

DUALIE SETUP

Motherboard: Tyan TigerMP

CPU1: AMD Athlon MP (Palamino core) 1800+ (1533 Mhz clock)

CPU2: AMD Athlon MP (Palamino core) 1800+ (1533 Mhz clock)

768 MB RAM

Philips Acoustic Edge (soon to be replaced by the Linux-compatible SB Audigy Gamer)

NVIDIA GeForce 2 MX :lol: (at least I can play Diablo and Warcraft in addition to many MAME games)

Lousy southeastern Georgia-style dialup

MINI-ITX PC

Motherboard Via Epia M-9000 (933 Mhz)

256 MB RAM

Onboard audio, video and ethernet

Currently using it for the study of Linux networking. it will eventually be a Linux-based DVD-player/set-top-box

OLD SCHOOL

Miscelaneous Pentium (133 Mhz)

32 MB RAM

Sound Blaster AWE 32

ATI Xpert@PLAY (8 MB) (remember these? :rolleyes: )

I plan to set it up for running Linux with Fluxbox and OpenOffice, and old Interactive Fiction games (gogo Frotz!)

Edited by nezumi

I have this old computer in my basement. Pentium 133mhz i think 32 RAM and a voodoo 1 or 2... Lol still has Windows 95 but the computer is half dead, I gotta restart it like 20 times for it to actually turn on.

I have this old computer in my basement. Pentium 133mhz i think 32 RAM and a voodoo 1 or 2... Lol still has Windows 95 but the computer is half dead, I gotta restart it like 20 times for it to actually turn on.

http://www.slackware.com

http://www.openoffice.org

happy hacking :rolleyes:

soo that card isn't ROXY?

ummm should i just get a 8x AGP or somthing and see what happens?

My Budget is: 75-120 $ USD.

My System

---------------

Mother Board: I have no idear :( "friend built my system, aww isn't he sweet? anywayz"

CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2200+ When i right click my computer it reads: 1.8 Ghz [has no idea wtf does the 2200 mean, anywayz]

Ram: 512 DDR ram

Hard Drive: have no idear again :) but it's 55.0 GB

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1

Video Card: Geforce2 32 Mb Video Memory

And that's pretty much it :)

soo that card isn't ROXY?

ummm should i just get a 8x AGP or somthing and see what happens?

My Budget is: 75-120 $ USD.

My System

---------------

Mother Board: I have no idear  :(  "friend built my system, aww isn't he sweet? anywayz"

CPU: AMD ATHLON XP 2200+ When i right click my computer it reads: 1.8 Ghz [has no idea wtf does the 2200 mean, anywayz]

Ram: 512 DDR ram

Hard Drive: have no idear again  :)  but it's 55.0 GB

Operating System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 Service Pack 1

Video Card: Geforce2 32 Mb Video Memory

And that's pretty much it  :)

when something says 8x AGP it means it can operate at a speed comparable to 8 times that of the original AGP spec. It will have no problem running at 4x.

As for your Athlon being a 2200+ and displaying that it's 1.8 Ghz... Intel screwed the market up permanently by embedding it into peoples' minds that a processors raw speed was the determining factor in how powerful it was. Brilliant marketing which unfortunately is still costing us today, as processors are consuming insane amounts of power and, although they are running fast, they aren't making efficient use of their time.

This caused people to say things like "Apple sux cause their CPUs are half as fast as Intel's." Apple's CPUs were actually about as good because they made more efficient use of their time than Intel CPUs did. Intel processors have more cycles per second, but their competitors processors perform more operations per cycle, and some use less power than an Intel CPU.

AMD is really starting to whup up on Intel in the technology department. Unfortunately, Intel still has all that cash for marketing.

The 2200+ on your CPU means that it's performance is comparable to an Intel CPU running at 2.2 Ghz. Considering that it's doing this with only 1.8 Ghz, AMD is to be desired over intel simply on the virtue that they are not as lazy as Intel.