Illegal music downloads cut in half..

Alpha

Posted by Dan Bell on 05 January 2004 - 07:40 - Source: Newsday

Information found from CDFreaks.com

In yet another study, conducted over the phone by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, the percentage of Americans who downloaded music from the Internet fell in half from figures gathered this spring when compared to responses in the fall.

Of course, as the EFF says, maybe the percentage of people that are willing to admit they are breaking the law over the phone with a complete stranger dropped instead. Or, maybe because there are legal alternatives now, people are paying for tracks. We didn't have such a luxury last spring. Apple's iTunes launched in May and the Windows version came along in mid October.

In the fall of 2003, 14 percent of Internet users downloaded -- electronically received -- music, compared with 29 percent in late spring, according to the survey of adults by the Pew Internet & American Life Project, an independent, nonprofit initiative to explore the social impact of the Internet.

The report, released yesterday, doesn't distinguish between legal and illegal downloads but suggests that many users stopped downloading after the recording industry said in June that it would sue people who illegally receive copyrighted music online.

"Nothing has ever fallen off the cliff the way that downloading has," said Lee Rainie, director of the Pew Internet project. "Obviously the lawsuits were a watershed, and they dramatically changed some online behavior."

Mitch Bainwol, chairman and chief executive of the Recording Industry Association of America, said through a spokesman: "This data suggests to us we're on the right track. This campaign has had a profound impact on awareness."

An interesting query for the next phone interview comes to mind. What is a fair share for the music industry, per track, for a 99 cent download? Here is the present breakdown for iTunes: 35 cents. The rest goes to the music company, 53 cents and the artist(s) getting the remaining 11 cents. By the way, the iTunes people are not making any profit.

Everyway I look at this, I can't figure out if I should be happy or not? :ph34r:

maybe this might finally get the RIAA out of ppl's ips and shares

Ehh.. I'm guessing it's going to increase due to less users now who are downloading illegal music and such. Now there going to get more desperate for money. :ph34r:

i find it funny that the RIAA is so unwilling to admit that sales were going down because the music they put out is just plain bad. i fail to see how downloading music illegally constitutes a lost sale when the person downloading wouldnt have bought the cd anyway.

i was really hoping that all the lawsuit nonsense would cause the people of this country to run the corrupt corporation out of town like so many villans in bad spaghetti westerns. unfortunately, the scare tactics seem to have worked... of course, this is ground thats been covered over and over...

i guess i just really wish that americans would stand up for themselves as consumers, instead of just buying whatever inane, incestious crap that advertising pumps into our brains. and dont get me started on the news media's fear-mongering....

who cares, American mainstream music is whack anyways :(

who cares, American mainstream music is whack anyways  <_<

I agree... I'm sure worries about being sued by the RIAA do factor into the drop in illegal downloading (how do they measure such things anyway). But I think the fact that most new stuff is crap has also affected the amount of downloads.

actually, before the net and stuff, i'd tape whatever songs i liked off the radio, because usually the rest of the album sucked ass.

PLUS what they don't keep in mind is, in some countries they ONLY release full albums because they don't have offical extensions of their companies(i live in egypt)

so there's no way, i'm paying money, for a crappy recording of a full album when i only like a few songs off of it (few being a minority) anyways.,