samsho5.zip :: good, bad and ugly

nezumi

Dunno if this will stay up... last time I started a topic in Current Affairs, it went missing the next day. Guess it was too non-emu. Anyways...

I've been playing the game off and on since Christmas eve mornin' and have a few thoughts on it.

good

-Characters are now "the best of both worlds." Basara and Genjuro (my primary chars) simply rock now.

-New use for the D button. I like this new subsystem. I just haven't gotten used to it yet. :D Rolling, ducking, hopping behind the opponent... good addition. Downside to this is the A+B for heavy slashing. I find it difficult to get them both at the same time, causing characters to move in a way I didn't intend to (Ukyo doing two slashes instead of 3, Basara's shadow jumping ahead instead of walking forward).

-Meditation. I like it. Issen was way to easy to pull off in samsho4, especially considering the huge damage it could do. Now it's a little more balanced, harder for you to reach the state of being able to perform issen. Added bonus is the slo-mo effect from the qcb+CD.

-New art. I like the profile-shots of the characters from the select screens. Top-notch. I also like Rimururu's new look. She's so cute, I miss the fatalities. (must... kill...)

-Subtle Effects. I've noticed nice little artistic touches in certain "slash-effects." The seem to have traditional-style paintings laid under them (Basara's qcf+CD, one of Yocrapora's moves, Genjuro's f,d,df,S, etc.) A very nice touch.

-New voices. Good to see that Rimururu and Nakoruru have new voices for this game. And the new announcer... very nice. He sounds much better than the samsho4 announcer.

bad

-Some of the characters feel unbalanced. Although Rera is a cool new addition to the "cute little girls" group of the game, it seems like her movelist is too short. Same goes for Rasetsumaru. Some characters just feel like they could use a wider variety of moves. And some are overpowered... Yocrapora has this one move where he slashes two swords at the ground, causing a power wave of sorts that can deal 5 hits. Heaven help you if he pulls it off first thing in the round, for all five hits, and you fail to jump back/block it.

-Pure Cheese. Sankuro needs a serious overhaul. His recovery times are almost nonexistant, and he blocks virtually everything. His "slide and grab" underling holds you for too long, and he can apparently hold you even when you are a good half-foot in front of his hands. Oh, and the damage you've done? It's gone. Sankuro used that time to enjoy a pizza and regain half his life bar. And now he's going to smack you. Got him in a corner? Have a hard-slash get blocked? BOOM! there goes a fourth of your life bar, as "Mr. Dosukoi!" jumps in on your head, and Sankuro quickly follows it up with a stomp.

-No Story. It appears us lousy gaijin are undeserving of a translated story mode. Only those who speake Japanese are truly worthy of understanding why the heck everyone's fighting. (Seriously. Yuki/SNK/Playmore, whoever is responsible for this, it was a seriously boneheaded move. Yes, 2D fighters have been losing popularity in the western world due to the hype surrounding lousy 3D fighters and other crap games that get all the attention due to good marketing, but you could at least give us some Engrish to laugh at.

-Nakoruru's new voice. Something about it just seems... I dunno, it just sounds awkward.

ugly

-Colors. Have you selected Basara with the D button? Looks like he's endorsing Sprite. One of Ukyo's pallettes (I think D) makes him look like Rayden from the MK movie, only with a shirisaya. I really think the color choices could have been better. Heck, some could've been recycled from samsho4 and they would've been better.

-Big Red. WTF? Gen-an was ugly enough and had an awesome weapon, but instead we get a simply hideous lumbering red demon with a sharp bone jutting out of his arm.

Overall, I like the game. A lot. Anyone else want to share their thoughts on the game thus far? (note this is for those who have the ROM or have played in an arcade. Please don't ask for the ROM in this thread, there's already a thread for that.)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea

it is sooo cool I use the girl who is using arrows...lol

forgot her name

my technique there is shoot above for 3 times

and call for the arrow everytime you gonna make a move

also the two ninjas are good

but those two boss characters suck

if anyone want that game just tell me

I cannot post the link coz its a private server

I don't like the battle system too much. If i'm lucky, i can kill a fighter with 2 to 3 hits(AB). I miss the 14+hit combo system. There is no more finishing move where you cut the fighter in half. You only have one life bar. In my opinion samsho4 is a bit better than part 5 but i'll still play it because i'm a fan of samurai shodown.

@tidus:

why not? skills lacking? or can't get it to work? can't find the rom? don't take offense, i'm just curious.

@nezumi:

huhuhu, maybe they're tired of gaijin poking fun at all the engrish (hence no translations). yeah, A+B takes getting used to. i know, what the hell is up with sankuro and his weirdo friends? i don't get it.

it's a pretty game. i sorta miss the slash/bust mode though. i also use genjuro often. i just love it when the cards show up~ hmm, i kinda like the big red demon thing... reminiscent of 'earthquake'. i miss that fat bastard~

when i first fired up ssv in kawaks, i overcame with the same feeling i had when i first saw samurai shodown in the arcades. "holy sh*t, look at the sword fighting game!" that was the best way to blow away 20 bucks~ okay, i'm getting off topic...

a wonderful christmas present, that ssv. kudos to the release team. mou, hontoni ureshiiyo~ domo~~~~

The a+b button heavy slash was in SS1 and 2 i think, the good thing i like about it is that they speeded it up since the last few but the bad thing was that those playmore bastards still havent brought back the old fighters like earth quake and that freedy cougar guy(he was so kool and good to use(looked like snk's version of blanka from SF)) and what ever happened to the referries? they were kool, it made it feel like one of those old kung fu movies. ahh the good old --> :D

hey found really good way

if your health is down and there is a blue bar on ur life press

(when you are on the left) press houdeken backward then c + d

you should perform a death slash

in slowmotion

and when you are in slowmotion press hoduken forward then b + c +d

to perform one hit slash

and ur opponent is kill

hahahha

that is reall cool

you can charge that by pressing d

you should see that ur charging

and ur slash gauge is rising

hehe

also use forward d to jump besides ur opponent and c to grab him then slash him with a

sorry bout my english

lol

thats all

Jun :

Yup, I agree Mina is not only cute, but AWESOME !!! :P

Some ugly points : I don't like the use of the D button a lot, as for the double A + B move I find that way to powerful.

I also don't like that red slimy self-cannibal demon, first of all because he is 2 big, 2 strong, 2 slow, and doesn't really fit in with the other characters.

I don't like Sankuro AT ALL !! That guy simply performs the same moves over and over again, moves you can't even block, I mean, WTF!!??XD1!11 He also has the ability to heal himself...double WTF!!!

I have to agree here, the game seems to have NO STORY at all, plus we don't get to know where Haomaru's evil twin comes from, neither Sogetsu's btw.

What's the deal with these two? Reza or something is identical to Sogetsu only he has no sword, and his movelist is too limited (well, so far..).

Anyone knows his story? :D

ps : noticed that new old guy? He seems cool, cause he can FLY :D lmao

didnt liked the draws and the animations of the characters only few of them had a good animation (yocrapora and kusaregedo)... probably its because i didnt liked SS4 too... :D

if u asking me then LB2 has a very GOOD animation and a vey GOOD game play... cant wait till LB3 will be realesed :P

Edited by O-Fear

Jun :

Yup, I agree Mina is not only cute, but AWESOME !!! :)

Some ugly points : I don't like the use of the D button a lot, as for the double A + B move I find that way to powerful.

I also don't like that red slimy self-cannibal demon, first of all because he is 2 big, 2 strong, 2 slow, and doesn't really fit in with the other characters.

I don't like Sankuro AT ALL !! That guy simply performs the same moves over and over again,  moves you can't even block, I mean, WTF!!??XD1!11 He also has the ability to heal himself...double WTF!!!

I have to agree here, the game seems to have NO STORY at all, plus we don't get to know where Haomaru's evil twin comes from, neither Sogetsu's btw.

What's the deal with these two? Reza or something is identical to Sogetsu only he has no sword, and his movelist is too limited (well, so far..).

Anyone knows his story? :D

ps : noticed that new old guy? He seems cool, cause he can FLY :P lmao

check this site

it has move list as well the description of each character...

I love this game but the graphics are poor, but the fighting system are the best

I use the main character that has many swords

I have 26 combos on that charater...

lol

that old man that always fly really get in to my nerves

I use Mina on that one, even I didnt use mina I can defeat that flying old man

most of the time when I look people who are playing that old man

he is really tough

but still I can hit him an arrow as easy as could be...lol