The big translations topic (was: Compiling Raine, the easy way?)

luixvayo

Ok added your file to the sources, you can see it there with the others : https://github.com/zelurker/raine/tree/master/locale

It's more convenient than grabbing them from an http link.

And it will be in next release then, thanks again !

By the way the raine.pot there is already more recent than the one you used for your translation, about 20 messages more, so you can grab it from git if you are curious !

• Like 1

Grabbed, and translated! I tested the new translation in Raine and worked good. I attached the files to this post.

And make a list with some of the missing strings:

Missing strings:
--------------------------
Under "Game Selection" menu: "-- Options --" very strange, this string appears for translation, but does not change in Raine.
Under "Load NeoCD game" menu: "-- Path..." same as -- Options --
Under "NeoCD/Neo-Geo options" menu: "Neo-Geo bios:" and "No NeoCD bios"
Under "Video Options" menu: "Use double buffer (ignored by opengl)", "Use blending files (.bld)", "Transparency for 1 (25% default)" and "Transparency for 2 (50% default)"
Under "Video info..." menu: all, except for Using unscaled blits.
Under "Blits Options" menu: "Fullheight + Double width"
Under "Video Options" menu: "Limit framerate <= 60fps"
Under "Option" menu: "Minimum GUI resolution = VGA"
Under main "Inputs" ---> "Raine controls": all except for this: cheat, console, fullscreen, load game and save game.
Under "About" menu/screen: "Compiled on (date)", "Linked With"
Under "Game options" menu, when a game is loaded: "CPU frame skip (1=no skip)"
When select load game option and no games are saved the error message: "No savegames loadable for this game"
When select save game option: "# - Free savegame slot"
and under "Graphical layers" menu: "Fixed layer" and "Sprites layer"
On the console: "console based on" and "no CPU initialized yet"

Sorry for the sloppiness, the text it's taken from my binnacle, and i write things on the fly.

Oh and thanks for the disk soft, think it's time to make a viking funeral for my HDD... :msncry:

es.zip

Woa, you are rather energetic about this, let's see...

Grabbed, and translated! I tested the new translation in Raine and worked good. I attached the files to this post.

And make a list with some of the missing strings:

Missing strings:

Under "Game Selection" menu: "-- Options --" very strange, this string appears for translation, but does not change in Raine.

Yeah, special case for the dialogs headers, you'll have to get a new binary for this, how goes your compilation then ? :wink:

thanks by the way, I hadn't noticed, it's the same word in french.

Under "NeoCD/Neo-Geo options" menu: "Neo-Geo bios:" and "No NeoCD bios"

It's a dynamically initialized dialog,some other kind of beast, which means the "Neo-Geo bios" string is simply ignored normally here and overwritten by what you see.

It's fixed, but you'll need to update your translation (it will look like "Neo-Geo bios: %s")

Under "Video Options" menu: "Use double buffer (ignored by opengl)", "Use blending files (.bld)", "Transparency for 1 (25% default)" and "Transparency for 2 (50% default)"

These are because I use some script to locate the strings to translate, it would be way too long to do it manually, and it didn't appreciate the "(" and ")", I taught it about them...

Under "Video info..." menu: all, except for Using unscaled blits.

Dynamic again, same rules apply...

Under "Blits Options" menu: "Fullheight + Double width"

Under "Video Options" menu: "Limit framerate <= 60fps"

Under "Option" menu: "Minimum GUI resolution = VGA"

This time my automatic tool didn't like the "+", "<" and "="...

Under main "Inputs" ---> "Raine controls": all except for this: cheat, console, fullscreen, load game and save game.

Yeah it's because these strings are used elsewhere already so they are already known.

For the inputs, I'll update them all later in 1 time, but not now (big thing).

Under "About" menu/screen: "Compiled on (date)", "Linked With"

Yeah I know but actually the date and time is a constant generated by gcc so they can't be translated, and so it doesn't make a lot of sense to translate only "compiled on",

plus it would be messy to translate just this little part of the string...

Under "Game options" menu, when a game is loaded: "CPU frame skip (1=no skip)"

When select load game option and no games are saved the error message: "No savegames loadable for this game"

When select save game option: "# - Free savegame slot"

and under "Graphical layers" menu: "Fixed layer" and "Sprites layer"

ok

On the console: "console based on" and "no CPU initialized yet"

It doesn't make much sense to translate the console, it's a dev tool, most dev tools are in english.

Plus there is a big help in the console, you would have to translate a vast amount of things, try to type help, then you have some help for almost all the commands (help command).

So no...

Sorry for the sloppiness, the text it's taken from my binnacle, and i write things on the fly.

Oh and thanks for the disk soft, think it's time to make a viking funeral for my HDD... :msncry:

Woa, it was actually quite long, oh well I'll probably push an update for the inputs some time today or tonight... thanks !

EDIT : ok, verything pushed to git, the files are growing fast, inputs later.

Edited by Tux

Just pushed the big commit to translate also the C part, it's huge, hopefully it doesn't add any error. For info I have not even started to try to translate this, the number of strings jumps from about 300 to about 1500 !

There are stupid strings inside, just ignore them, I tried to remove as many of them as possible but some have to stay.

When there are formats like layer %d, keep the %d in your translation, you'll get a warning if you don't anyway.

I'll go back to this when the weather is less hot.

For now raine.pot + all the source files updated.

Okey dokey, back again! A work for me appeared and have little time. And yes, i am a little energetic :lookaround:

Good to hear about all the updates!

And 1500 strings, i don't know why but i feel ecxited, i think, i like translate things?

Found some strings that Raine don't translate, but exist in the .po file (i.e. -- Options --), after translating the new file i'm gonna check if this problem persist and inform you wich strings are, just to not make a lot of trouble for maybe nothing.

Oh, and Poedit give me a warning about the strings "Transparency for 1 (25% default)" and "Transparency for 2 (50% default)" saying something about "not the same format" ¿? And, when testing this translation in Raine, in the menu where this strings appear, give me a lot of strange characters. But, i fix this by opening the .po file and removing this "#, c-format" from below the strings (both).

I'll change you the weather any time if you want, here is really really cold, like sub-zero cold...

Tomorrow gonna start working the new translation!

And see if finally i can start the compilation of Raine! :woahman:

For now i upload the new translation as an attachment as always.

Cheers!

es.zip

Okey dokey, back again! A work for me appeared and have little time. And yes, i am a little energetic :lookaround:

Good to hear about all the updates!

And 1500 strings, i don't know why but i feel ecxited, i think, i like translate things?

lol !

Found some strings that Raine don't translate, but exist in the .po file (i.e. -- Options --), after translating the new file i'm gonna check if this problem persist and inform you wich strings are, just to not make a lot of trouble for maybe nothing.

Just remember that the binary was updated for that, if you can't compile yours I'll release a new one but it's less convenient it's the "stabilization phase" where I fix

things quickly and I would really not like to publish a new binary evertime I fix something...

Oh, and Poedit give me a warning about the strings "Transparency for 1 (25% default)" and "Transparency for 2 (50% default)" saying something about "not the same format" ¿?

Normally it's harmless, it's because it's a string which looks like a printf string where the % sign introduces a format, but here it's a real string with a real %, no format.

And, when testing this translation in Raine, in the menu where this strings appear, give me a lot of strange characters. But, i fix this by opening the .po file and removing this "#, c-format" from below the strings (both).

Ah ? I don't know, I keep everything as-is, and I don't get any strange character in raine here, something specific to poedit ? Anyway you can remove this line without problem, it's just a comment normally.

I'll change you the weather any time if you want, here is really really cold, like sub-zero cold...

lol ! I forget you are on the other side of the world, it feels quite strange !

Well here I change my habbits, since it's very hard to sleep during the night, I sleep less during the night and when I can during the day, like some sailors... !

it's said it will cool down on thursday, quite a good news for me !

Tomorrow gonna start working the new translation!

And see if finally i can start the compilation of Raine! :woahman:

For now i upload the new translation as an attachment as always.

Cheers!

Ok, pushed to giti, I have already made a few updates on my side...

A few hints : be careful at not changing the locale while editing your files, it happened to me because I tried to edit the french file on a computer which used a latin1 locale instead of utf8, it wrecked havoc in the file

it took me quite a long time to fix things.

Otherwise the comments with the place in the source files where the original text are there in case you forget what the text is about, but since you have never seen this code it's probably not very helpful for you... Well maybe just the filename can help sometimes. Otherwise there are some dipswitches where even I don't know what they mean exactly, so when you find something like that, just don't translate it !

And don't feel obliged to translate everything of course, we have already done the most important part anyway.

Also even if you don't update your binary you'll see the updated texts in the gui in most places (except the ones I fixed lately like the headers). It will work for inputs and dipsitches for example.

That's because everything which is displayed in the gui is sent to translation no matter what.

Also, I have added the ability to translate the strings which appear at the bottom of the screen during the game, but be careful with this : in the original raine this uses an old font without any accent, and even if you use the opengl overlay as it's called which displays this texts with a more modern font, it's still a latin1 font, not an utf8 one, so the accents will still be broken. 3 possibilities : either leave this in english, translate without accents, or convert your translation to latin1 (not tested here).

Anyway there are not a lot of these texts, it's a very little minority, but they are different from the rest.

That's all for this time !

EDIT : for info, raine.pot to version 0.3 with loading messages included (I had forgotten these). It's just a few messages more, about 1560 strings now ! ;-)

Edited by Tux

The implementation of your ideas : I just added some code to re-use the graphics from command.dat in the inputs dialog for ingame controls. The advantage is that it's easy to do and these graphics scale with the dialogs, the disadvantages being that I lack a few graphics (coin and start keys mainly), and that they are not perfect, maybe I should try to improve them but it's really not my speciality !

Anyway I'll keep it like that, we'll see how others like this.

Also it's a good idea to remove the "c-code" comment for the transparency strings, even for me it removes a warning which was seen as an error by the makefile, so now I remove these 2 comments everytime I regenerate the raine.pot file.

Hi again! Ok i just ended 99% of the translation, missing some thingy here and there. I'll try to clean it a little bit more later, but i think it's good for now. I attached the file to the post again.

Excellent, the new implementation! Raine gonna be more pimped out! :msntongue:

Oh, and i remember that there is a simbol for the start button, a "S" in a circle (button), i dont know if you are referring to that, but the implementation of the direccional and players button it's already pretty awesome.

I'm gonna finally start trying to compile Raine, tonight or tomorrow! and test the new features.

Thanks for taking my idea! You are a nice person!

Cheers!

es.zip

Woa, you are really the master of translations, I have made around 500 translations for the french part, you are at 1200 in this file !

Impressive !

For info the original translations in 0.28 were very far from that, but there were much less functions in 0.28 too, it was only about 100 strings to translate...

Your idea was good, normal to take it !

I'll probably make a new binary soon then, but I am curious to hear about your compilation results !

EDIT : a few more updates you might be interested in :

1st, I removed the source references from the po files and raine.pot. Because it made git diffs totally crazy, just add 1 line in a file somewhere and you get a bunch of updated translations just because line numbers change. Plus you can easily find the texts from msgid by browsing the sources so the info is useless. I have removed it from raine.pot, french.po and es.po in git. Tested with poedit, it doesn't mind and finds everything as usual, even updates of raine.pot.

It's good to have these files in git, but not at the cost of a super giant diff for each small update done to the sources, especially when it doesn't change any text.

2nd : slightly updated raine.pot with strings using command.dat for the inputs, it looks like "Player1 _8" for "Player1 Up", "Player1 _2" for "Player1 down", etc...

It's just in case you want to translate the "Player1" part. Sorry it's repeated for every input added, it expects a constant string here so it was easier to just copy and paste. Also using poedit it's easier to locate useless repeated strings, like "100k only", "100K only" and "100K Only" ! So I removed a few of these...

3rd : while testing I found some small bugs like the short cut keys to select a command in the menus still not working correctly, and the history of a game not displayed correctly (lines too short). Fixed both.

EDIT : and finally removed the very long switch/case to use a function to convert inputs to command.dat format, the result is that there is only 1 string to translate now, "Player" alone, big simplification !

Notice that for now autofire inputs won't be converted because it would oblige me to do messy things in c++ (multiple inheritances and virtual inheritance, way too complex for this), so I'll just pass for now.

Edited by Tux
  • Like 1

I'm here! Barely alive! Got baddly sick! Sorry Tux, when i get better gone to continue to make the translation. Glad to hear about the new updates, i will continue giving you ideas untill the Raine gets all pimped out! :moptop:

The karma its pretty mad at me, got sick, my internet conection died, mi HDD quit, loss a few jobs (for my sickness), a street fighter 2 CE jamma pcb stop working, and i lack courage to ask a gorgeous girl that i know to go out! The karma is kicking my ass.

Hola theelf! Avise cuando venga por Tucumán así le convido unos mates y hacemos unos combates!

Sorry again Tux! I'll be back :matrix: