registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { return; } public function replaceOutput($output, $key) { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicView($output, $key); } } ?>registry = ipsRegistry::instance(); $this->settings =& $this->registry->fetchSettings(); } public function getOutput() { require_once( IPSLib::getAppDir('ibprobattle') . '/sources/battleHooks.php' ); $this->battleHook = new battleHooks( $this->registry ); return $this->battleHook->statsTopicViewJS(); } } ?> Most secure browser for privacy? - Nerd's Chatter [/nerds] - 1Emulation.com

Welcome to 1Emulation.com
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.
Login to Account Create an Account
Photo

Most secure browser for privacy?

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

emsley

emsley

Emsley here. That's right.

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 6,772 posts
  • Interests:Yelling.

I use chrome, but I'm not trusting it one little bit lately. 

Using gmail and chrome although handy, it likes to log you into a bunch of stuff IE youtube/google+(who the fuck uses this?) and when you post a youtubevideo it logs your posts if you log in with gmail. 

For me this is suspicious, at what point did creating an email account to logging into three different things with your digital shadow following you? 

In truth I reckon chrome has harvested loads of data on people. 

I was wondering if you clued up lads knowwhich is the browser that proper ninjas use?

Robert

Robert

Alchemist

• User Admin
  • 11,628 posts
I still use Firefox, although a whole bunch of sites claim this version (3.6) is unsupported. As for privacy, I don't really know, but it seems ok.

Hard Core Rikki

Hard Core Rikki

Proud Fan

• Staff Members
  • 244 posts
  • Interests:Emulation. Among others.

Chrome collects and leaks like it's made by the NSA. Firefox is much better even vanilla. Ditching sync and privacy-focused addons will secure peace of mind.

For the most privacy, I suppose you could give the TOR browser bundle a go, but as all information is relayed and all nodes cannot be trusted (many are malicious, others simply insecure - Hearthbleed), it'd only be recommended for discrete browsing, not for logging into any site.

I still use Firefox, although a whole bunch of sites claim this version (3.6) is unsupported

...maybe it's time to update.

Edited by Hard Core Rikki, 24 April 2014 - 12:50 PM.

Agozer

Agozer

Board Script AI | 16-bit Corpse | The Mummy

• User Admin
  • 19,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games, plain and simple.

Why the hell would anyone use Firefox 3.6 nowadays?

Hard Core Rikki

Hard Core Rikki

Proud Fan

• Staff Members
  • 244 posts

XP install media with extra software slipstreamed. FF3 doesnt seem to auto-update to more recent versions.

ken_cinder

ken_cinder

Cyborg Admin

• User Admin
  • 4,484 posts
  • Interests:Everything

Chromium...the open source browser that Chrome is built off.

emsley

emsley

Emsley here. That's right.

• 1Emu Veteran
  • 6,772 posts
  • Interests:Yelling.

Chromium...the open source browser that Chrome is built off.

http://www.chromium....romium-projects

cant see a download mate? 

Hard Core Rikki

Hard Core Rikki

Proud Fan

• Staff Members
  • 244 posts

Chromium is barely less bad than the official Chrome (pretty much all Chrome-based browsers, including Opera now). Not recommended for even basic privacy, only for portability.

Alpha

Alpha

Your Ayatollah of Rock N' Rolla!

• Admin
  • 7,464 posts
  • Interests:Face to face interaction, women, and some old games.

Just stay away from Safari -- that shit has got more holes than swiss cheese.

Robert

Robert

Alchemist

• User Admin
  • 11,628 posts

Because I'm still running Windows 2000 on 0.5GHz Celeron?

Later versions of Firefox will install and run, but they are so bloated the entire machine almost freezes.

Chrome won't install, although I've heard that it will work if you hack the installer.

I have an old version of Opera installed, but it can't even display the Google logo properly.

And, of course, the infamous IE6, which is much less supported than FF 3.6 is, and has major problems with many sites.

Agozer

Agozer

Board Script AI | 16-bit Corpse | The Mummy

• User Admin
  • 19,840 posts
  • Interests:Video games, plain and simple.

Because I'm still running Windows 2000 on 0.5GHz Celeron?

Later versions of Firefox will install and run, but they are so bloated the entire machine almost freezes.

Chrome won't install, although I've heard that it will work if you hack the installer.

I have an old version of Opera installed, but it can't even display the Google logo properly.

And, of course, the infamous IE6, which is much less supported than FF 3.6 is, and has major problems with many sites.

Ok, fair enough.

But why such an ancient piece of hardware?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users