"Whats the deal with dating sims?"

So in my Sienfield voice i gotta ask, what's the deal with those dating sim games.

I've always seen it when i go web shopping through anime but never cared for it. Then i saw one on xbla and wondered... hmmmm....*inhales* so are these like just pervy games or is there some type underlying attachment created by vivid story telling and invoking emotions that leave the player so invested that he/she is submerged in this world, more-so than any 3d game could ever hope to replicate?!?!?

I played one on xbla but that was an indie and it clearly was super low budget, but its just one of things where im like, "What?...IS it really good?"

I mean i just dont see why someone would play a 2dsim instead of a classic dragon age, Katherine or even witcher where romance is handled quite well imo.

Anyone here down with the D-Sims?

Edited by Shoma

The main problem with playing dating sims in general is that the genre as a whole couldn't get more japanese, including almost every single game being in japanese + the whole concept of a dating sim game simply doesn't fly in the west.

Having said that, time to answer this question:

is there some type underlying attachment created by vivid story telling and invoking emotions that leave the player so invested that he/she is submerged in this world, more-so than any 3d game could ever hope to replicate?!?!?

Anything Key Visual Arts makes comes to mind. Their works are more or less the Platinum Standard of dating sims and visual novels, both in Japan and in the West among fans. The holy trio of games being AIR, Clannad and Kanon. Very emotionally involving, and excellent story-wise. YMMV, of course. Other heavy hitters are Konami (Tokimeki franchise), Aquaplus (ToHeart, Utawarerumono, White Album, Tears/Tiara), Navel (Shuffle!, Soul Link, We Without Wings) and TYPE-MOON (Fate/Stay Night, Tsukihime, Garden of Sinners) -- Fate/Stay Night being bigger than anything in Japan.

Also note: some hentai is involved. Often both hentai and non-hentai versions of the same visual novel exist.

Surely, many dating sim games from smaller studios (which are many) cater to every fetish one can think of, and as a genre, quality ranges from quick cash grabs to the likes mentioned above. Dating sims are pretty much the only reason the PS2 still sees releases in Japan. As far as western efforts go, I don't really know about those with the exception of one: Katakawa Shoujo, with is very tastefully and well done.

Wow, nice info!

I think i'll try just because.. I'll try one of those "heavy hitters" you mentioned.

I guess in a world where 3d is common, i couldn't possibly see anything where you talk to a 2d model that doesnt have a voice actor and be invested in it. But we'll see...

OH btw, what satisfaction do you get when you play these games?

As much of a stupid reason it is, I play because of the girls. Storyline second. Since the stories can be very heavy emotionally, It's difficult for me to play some of the more drama-heavy routes. Still, the storylines do have a big draw, especially with Shuffle! and AIR. All of he big sims have have full voice acting, and many of the actors are well known in the japanese anime/video game industry.

As much of a stupid reason it is, I play because of the girls. Storyline second. Since the stories can be very heavy emotionally, It's difficult for me to play some of the more drama-heavy routes. Still, the storylines do have a big draw, especially with Shuffle! and AIR. All of he big sims have have full voice acting, and many of the actors are well known in the japanese anime/video game industry.

Oh there is voice acting! Im thinking they all are just "read and hear random sounds" but then again its japanese sooo... same thing? Okay Im doing the Shuffle one.

If you're going with Shuffle! and can stick with it for some time, you learn to be creeped out (and not just by a little) by "Boxcutter Kaede".

Lol, I tried, couldnt get into it!

Maybe its the constant reading in the beginning or the fact that they're 2d freeze frames but yeah, im spoiled by 3d conversation and constant dialog trees, lol!

Update: The search for Shuffle did however lead to a infobox about "eroge" in general and wow....Wow Japan.....Wow....

Edited by Shoma