XTEmu and GeneralEmu dead? What da fuck.

Alpha

Can't access XTEmu.com -- site says "Account Suspended"... and GeneralEmu.net seems to be officially shutting down May 1st 2012.

From GeneralEmu:

It's for this reason that I have to make a hard choice to close the site and write the final chapter on something I care alot about. The memories I have from our heydays here won't ever be forgotten. Some of my favorite times were spent on here with everyone. I hope that a few of you will take some memories with you too.

As for details, I will keep the site open until May 1, 2012. On this date I will deactivate the domain and delete all site data from the server. No personal data will be saved or shared. Thanks to all for the great times. We had a great run, but I think it's time to move on. - General Plot

Shame these 2 sites are gone or near gone. If anything, this motivates me more to revive this site to its fullest!

I am a firm believer that emulation is more prominent than ever with hacked ps3's, xbox's, etc. And let's not forget Dolphin and PCSX2 development.

Fuck the haters and negative minds is all I got to say. :-)

Yep emulation seems to be on the back burners for most as of now. Probably from the lack of interest from the new generation. Like my grandkids they say what is pac-man. If it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newest game then they don't what to play it. Me growing up playing all these arcade classics is what got me into emulation. I hope it truely never dies.

Yep emulation seems to be on the back burners for most as of now. Probably from the lack of interest from the new generation.

Mindshare and skill moves along. Homebrew on consoles, handhelds and mobiles is taking over and evolving far more healthily PC-based emulation did.

Yep emulation seems to be on the back burners for most as of now. Probably from the lack of interest from the new generation.

Mindshare and skill moves along. Homebrew on consoles, handhelds and mobiles is taking over and evolving far more healthily PC-based emulation did.

I agree but still there is a lack of interest in today's youth. I see it in my grand kids. Even in my nieces and nephews.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, like I said in my final site announcement, it wasn't an easy decision, but it was for the best. To give an idea of the kind of traffic we were getting, one of our former admins (Emwearz) made a post announcing our 20,000th post milestone. That was in March 2008. On the day I closed the site, we had a little more than 23,000 posts, meaning that in the course of more than 4 years, 3,000 posts were made. For that length of time, that's low. And the only active members were some staff who made a post now and then, but return members were nonexistent.

I spent six years with GE trying to revive it, but I think we just got in the game too late. By the time the site was going up, general interest in emulation was dwindling. I tried to counteract it with posting PS3 hacking content, among other things, but nothing could draw traffic our way. Still, it was a great time, and we did have a pretty active length of time, which I loved. To all current existing emulation sites: luck be with you and I hope that the newer generation getting online will discover this great technology and bring a revival to all sites dedicated to allowing users to resurrect and preserve their favorite games. :matrix:

• Like 3