Pixel Perfect - 1080p vs. 480p

PhilExile

How did you get audio from the iScan HD+ if it was plugged into the SLG3000 via VGA?

You don't even need to plug the audion into the iScan HD+ if you don't want to. I'm not sure what your setup is like, but it should look something like this:

XBOX > YUV (Component) Output, 480p ---> DVDO iScan HD+ > VGA Output ---> SLG3000 > VGA Output ---> TV

XBOX > R/L Audio or Optical Audio ---> TV

Also, did you find that this scaler introduced much lag?

No, I never noticed lag. It wasn't perfectly sharp picture-wise, but with the SLG3000 it looked quite good. Also, it was very close to a real CRT 'look' so if you want authenticity, this is a great setup. Its also not very expensive compared to other options like the XRGB Mini, which would set you back around $400.

In case you don't know about, here is Fudoh's site which goes into all of this: http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/

Good luck!

Edited by PhilExile

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks mate, appreciate your work and comments. Fairly sure I've seen you on Emuxtras.

When you say "You don't even need to plug the audion into the iScan HD+ if you don't want to" isn't it actually impossible as the unit doesn't have analogue audio in?

The combo will cost me about 300US as the shipping is high. I don't need the mini as I'm happy with the emulation on Xbox and Wii. Also, the mini has limited inputs and the scanlines is hit and miss.

The iScan is merely a way for me to get VGA out. As a bonus, it will take my N64 and Saturn over svideo.

When you say "You don't even need to plug the audion into the iScan HD+ if you don't want to" isn't it actually impossible as the unit doesn't have analogue audio in?

The DVDO iScan HD+ has digital inputs - coaxial and optical. The Xbox is capable of outputing both of these formats.

The combo will cost me about 300US as the shipping is high. I don't need the mini as I'm happy with the emulation on Xbox and Wii.

It sounds like you're paying too much then. I just looked up the iScan HD+ on eBay and it typically sells for between $100 and $125. I think the SLG3000 is about $60. With shipping you shouldn't be too much above $200.

Also, the mini has limited inputs.

How so? It has YUV, RGB, composite, and s-video. The only input missing is VGA and you can get a transcoder for that if needed - though the only thing I can imagine you'd need it for would be Dreamcast.

and the scanlines is hit and miss.

Not that I know of? What are you talking about? The Mini has applied scanlines to all the retro machines I've thrown at it.

The iScan is merely a way for me to get VGA out.

You could also get a YUV to VGA transcoder. I actually have a good one from Startech that you could use with the SLG3000. See below:

http://www.startech....rter~VGA2TV2WAY

If you want it, I'd sell it to you for $50. I no longer need it and its just collecting dust. :-)

As a bonus, it will take my N64 and Saturn over svideo.

Tsk, tsk. For the Saturn, you should be using SCART cables! For the N64, you can do a RGB (SCART) mod which will improve picture quality immensely. See links below:

SATURN: http://www.retro-acc...del-Saturn.html

N64: http://www.gamesx.co...badd/rgbn64.htm

The N64 is a bit harder and, alternatively, you can also install an amp for better picture quality. Ask around at the System 11 Shmups forum.

Edited by PhilExile

Mario is dead! Eminem is dead! Luigi is dead! Sonic is dead!

Resolution in game is not a POWERmeter of fun und honey and cool!

GHAH - Games Has A Home.

Pobajerzymy se trochę i odrobinkę wesołkowato o życiu und luźno and wykwintnie?

Moje gg to 5473221

Very smart und cool and wise powiedzenie anglosaskie z USA rodem:

PUT OWN COCK IN THE WAX AND PAY A YOUR LAST TAX IN BUCKS! WHAT A FUCK? PUSSY UND CRACK!

Edited by simian raticus

I'll be using a Wii aswell which, sadly, lacks digital audio out. As does the Saturn and N64 so another solution is required anyway.

USD111 equivalent for the iScan HD+. The SLG 3000 with case is USD equivalent 78 so USD189 total. Shipping is a bitch to Singapore (USD 60 for the iScan HD+).

Limited inpus. One component. One s-video. I know I can hook up switches, but for that price why should I need to. Dreamcast via VGA without transcoder is also preferable.

Scanlines on the FM Never looked right to me. Much prefer the SLG3000.

I would use a transcoder but I need to hook up two component devices and can't be assed adding switch boxes / getting up to change the cables.

S-Video with scanlines is fine in my eyes. I never saw much difference when using N64 and Saturn.

Edited by wizball1973