Nebula 2.25b, Samurai Showdown 5 Special

Hello there dear community. To have a common ground - I am a great noob concerning the making of .dat files.

This is more of a desperate post as I haven't been able to resolve my current problem.

I have been able to run Samurai Showdown 5 Special in Kawaks, in Mame but I haven't been able to make Nebula even see the rom.

I do not have a .dat for the game nor have I been able to make one with RomData (might be a very, very old version).

I've seen that there is information concerning the content of Samurai Showdown 5 Special .dat but I do not know how to make one from scratch.

I prefer using Nebula because of the HQ4x Enhancement.

Please do not get mad because of my lack of knowledge. I am eager to learn but haven't actually found anything on the topic.

How can I make Nebula see roms (they are in .zip containing .bins). How can I make a .dat?

In a nutshell, how can I get to play Samurai Showdown 5 and other relatively new games on Nebula if the emulator doesn't see them?

Thank you so much for the time spent reading the post. I must find a solution!

Yours truly',

Nebula 2.25B does not support Samurai Shown V nor Samurai Shodown V Special.

You can't change how and what files Nebula 2.25b loads, because every romset that Nebula uses is hardcoded into the internal database of the emulator. No amount of DAT editing and fiddling will change that. Now, There is a hacked Nebula 2.25 Loader somewhere, which loads custom DAT files, enabling you load your sets that aren't supported by Nebula. No, we don't link to it here.

Personally speaking, you'd be much better off by getting an emulator that supports Samurai Shodown V Special as is, instead of clinging to something as old as Nebula (four years and counting) just because of one video blitter. Try FBA Shuffle, for example EDIT: -- which has HQ4X, btw.

Thank you so much for the fast reply.

Edit: Managed to get it to work.

Not wanting to waste any more space, I will just ask:

- what emulator do you recommend?

- can I do anything to improve the quality whilst using full screen?

Any more information on the topic will be highly appreciated.

Thank you.

Yours truly',

Edited by OrtoM

- what emulator do you recommend?

I use FBA Shuffle. It does what I expect it to.

- can I do anything to improve the quality whilst using full screen?

Define "improve the quality". If by "improve the quality" you mean something more crisp [better] than HQ4x, there really isn't anything like that. Note that the Neo-Geo has a resolution of 320x224. There's only so much any filter can do when the internal resolution is that small.

I intend to, yes.

Experiment with the different filters FBA Shuffle (or the regular FBA) has to offer; you may find something more to your liking than HQ4x. Well maybe, who knows.

Agozer, what is your favorite video filter in FBA shuffle? If it varies from game to game, then which one do you use the most? I take it that you're using the latest version, FBA shuffle v2.0.0 test build, am I correct?

I'm using the latest non-test build, 110106 IIRC (my virus scanner reported trojans in the test build's libs -- very likely a false positive, but still). Anyway, I use HQ2x or Super 2xSaI, with 1280x1024 fullscreen.

Well, the Neo-Geo uses only 4 buttons to begin with, but at least FBA Shuffle let's you bind controller buttons to Neo-Geo buttons combinations, such as A+B, B+C+D, etc.

If FBA Shuffle hasn't changed the way inputs are handled or the menus, the original FBA should have all buttons assignments under "Map Game Inputs...".