looking for old game possibly somewhere in mame?

robot3

DSCF0887.jpg

Like this?

You ask about possible revisions... well if it was an official revision, you should be able to find it. But I see no mention of it anywhere.

Here's something more informative than anything I have found so far.

Vs. Excitebike

Excitebike was enhanced in two different versions, both titled Vs. Excitebike.

The first version was released for arcades in 1984, some time after the Famicom release. The game was based around the VS. Unisystem unit. It is similar to its NES counterpart, though this version has the Design option gone and in the main game there are three difficulty levels (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced), and the levels are arranged in a different setup: there are seven tracks that must be played twice, the first time as a challenge race, and the second time as an Excitebike race. Whereas the challenge race has no CPU bikers as obstacles, in the Excitebike race mode they appear. Also the position qualify will rise to the 5th place, which means the player must clear the track in that position or higher to advance.

The second was released for the Famicom Disk System peripheral in 1988. While the graphics and core gameplay are still the same, there are several differences between this version, and both the original and its arcade namesake:

The game features a versus mode known as "Vs. Excite", in which two players compete for winning. The options include maximum number for rounds for deciding a winner, the track in which the players will race on, and the number of laps for said track.

The music is completely different and none of the sound tracks from the original game is present in this version.

The "Original Excite" mode is based actually on the main mode of the arcade version.

Its rewritable disk format also allows the player to save created tracks.

Source: Answers.com (huh... go figure)

So yea, I miss-quoted earlier... 88 was the famicom, release of the arcade unit was 84 (Japan)...

DSCF0887.jpg

Like this?

You ask about possible revisions... well if it was an official revision, you should be able to find it. But I see no mention of it anywhere.

Here's something more informative than anything I have found so far.

Vs. Excitebike

Excitebike was enhanced in two different versions, both titled Vs. Excitebike.

The first version was released for arcades in 1984, some time after the Famicom release. The game was based around the VS. Unisystem unit. It is similar to its NES counterpart, though this version has the Design option gone and in the main game there are three difficulty levels (Beginner, Intermediate and Advanced), and the levels are arranged in a different setup: there are seven tracks that must be played twice, the first time as a challenge race, and the second time as an Excitebike race. Whereas the challenge race has no CPU bikers as obstacles, in the Excitebike race mode they appear. Also the position qualify will rise to the 5th place, which means the player must clear the track in that position or higher to advance.

The second was released for the Famicom Disk System peripheral in 1988. While the graphics and core gameplay are still the same, there are several differences between this version, and both the original and its arcade namesake:

The game features a versus mode known as "Vs. Excite", in which two players compete for winning. The options include maximum number for rounds for deciding a winner, the track in which the players will race on, and the number of laps for said track.

The music is completely different and none of the sound tracks from the original game is present in this version.

The "Original Excite" mode is based actually on the main mode of the arcade version.

Its rewritable disk format also allows the player to save created tracks.

Source: Answers.com (huh... go figure)

So yea, I miss-quoted earlier... 88 was the famicom, release of the arcade unit was 84 (Japan)...

yes the machine was in that style. I recall the bezel ( or the header piece that shows the title of the arcade game on the cabinet) as saying Exciteabike. Nothing with VS, though that was the machine being used. I seem to recall though having some different sound effects. The arcade I saw this in was an indie owned (not a chain) in a regular mall. Perhaps it is very possible someone made a custom header piece and screwed up the name, or possibly if it was some sort of hack flashed into a VS machine, that could also explain the header name and possible other minor tweak differences I recall seeing.

I can tell you I was not old enough to drive at the time and my friend being a year or two older was (though that would

have made him 16 or 17 and putting this in 1987 or 1988). I thought it was cool as hell back then being able to drive to the "next town over" with a friend and not by Mom or Dad.

So thanks to you guys here I can at least now confirm it had to be VS excitebike, but I am still convinced I played some sort of bootleg or hack of some type due to the firm memory of the arcade header name and the flashing bike

either way thanks again, I now just hae to figure out one more game from my youth I recall playing and then all 3 mystery games can be put to rest (the second mystery game turned out to be Special forces or it was Special forces 2)

keep this thread open and just use it for any "trying to remember the game and is it in mame questions"