pokemon elite four save problem. im new. please help

TDWPgtp

hey guys, i know that theres tons of posts out there about this stuff, but i was wondering if there is actually a way to be able to continue after beating the elite four in leaf green (or any other pokemon game) for the VBA emulator. please let me know, and try to explain it simply, as i am simple minded :)

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok that helped me a little bit... posts 1,4, and 9 seem to be the most relavent, however, i dont know what alot of it means haha. maybe you can help me to understand it. i dont really know what type of save file mine uses... i know when i do save it says "write state" while it is saving. basically can you help me figure out what i need to do exactly? im not exactly a computer-guy so i do apologize for my lack of knowledge

If the emulator gives you a "write state" message or something similar, you are using savestates, which is not the same thing as using the game's own "proper" save feature. Given your responses, I don't think you've saved in-game properly at any moment during your gaming hours. Save states are not a viable alternative to actual in-game saves (although they can be used as such), and can sometimes be quite volatile and unreliable.

Now, what exactly does the game say when you beat the Elite Four? Does it try to save your progress automatically and failing at it, or what? And what exactly do you mean by "i was wondering if there is actually a way to be able to continue after beating the elite four in leaf green", and how exactly does this "save problem" of yours manifest itself?

after beating the elite four the game SHOULD auto save and then restart, putting you in the first stage of the game, but with everything you have already completed. i guess i want to know if there is a way to use the in-game save, or if there is a way to simulate the in-game save so that when it tries to auto-save, i can continue.

What most likely happened here is that the save type VBA emulates was wrong for the very beginning; if the emulated save type if different from what the game expects it to be, the saving process will fail spectacularly.

Even if you set the correct savetype in the emulator right now, you'd have to start the game from scratch. The savestate you used to save your game still contains data that tells the game that the savetype used is something unknown to it -- despite the emulator is emulating it correctly.

ha well ok. i appreciate your help anyway.

another question though... with regard to post #4 in the link you sent me, how do i know if i have an ips patch? i got the files for the game from my friend so i pretty much have no idea about them..

If you don't know that you have an IPS patch, then you most likely don't. IPS patches can be separate files, which the emulator patches into the game on the fly during emulation (soft-patched), or the IPS patches might have been added the the actual ROM image before hand with an external patcher tool (hard-patched).

Like I said, if you don't know, assume that your game is not patched in any way. Then again, you could always ask your friend for confirmation.

well in my options > emulator menu, there was a "automatic IPS patching" box checked... i assume i need to uncheck that?...

id like to be able to create the vba-over.ini file that is described in the first post but i dont know exactly how to do it...if you could try to guide me thatd be awesome. cuz that post confuses me ha