Resident Evil Code Veronica glitches all U want

Hi there every1.

I'm not new to emulators but this game really gets on my nerves.Long ago I played RE2 using an emulator.I got it nailed (happy).After I was totally bored with it I decided to search for other REs.I found out this gem - Code Veronica.

I downloaded the 2CDs downloaded two versions of NullDC - nullDC 1.0.0 Public Beta 1 and nullDC_103

In both versions the game runs horrible! The movies are with something like 10-15 FPS.The menus are OK(kinda)

and when the game starts...well...the sound lags behind,the frame rate is a bit better(30-40 FPS I guess) and finally there are some texture issues(fire,blood).

I tried different configurations on both versions...No result...I was dEEpressed.

Then I came here and searched the topics...Nothing helped and I was stunned when I saw a topic that says that this game runs at 100% with no problems using nullDC 1.0.0 Public Beta 1...What is wrong?Is it my hardware?

My system specs:

MS WinXP ServPack3

Intel Celeron @ 1.70Ghz

RAM - 768

Video>Nvidia GeForce 4 MX 440 SE(using latest drivers)

Any help will be good

The reason people say that the game runs at 100% with no problems is because they have more efficient CPUs and more powerful graphics cards (although graphics card doesn't play ass big of a part as one would normally think. First, you CPU is underpowered (CPU speed is essential in emulation). Second, the texture issues are most caused by your GeForce 4 MX. Said cards lack a number of graphics instructions that most if not all Dreamcast emulators use. Lacking said features on the card often results in varying degrees of graphics problems. The sound lagging behind the action is also a sign that the CPU is underpowered, and thus unable to emulate the game at the required speed.

Having said all this, you could try Demul, but don't expect it to magically fix things. The most optimal choice for you is to get a cheap PlayStation 2 (or even an actual Dreamcast) and the game for either system. No slowdown or graphics/sound issues. I'm quite happy with my Veronica on my PS2 despite being hard as nails (or then I just suck at playing it).

I really doubt that this is about CPU power.I've also played Alone in the Dark - the new nightmare using PS2 emulator and the emulation awesome...

Or maybe you are right.When I think of it RE:CV has better GFX than AitD...but then again PS2 is far more powerful and requires a lot more CPU for it to be emulated properly...

I dunno...I'll try what you recommended and we'll see.

BIG TY!

I just remembered that I have played the game at full speed with no glitches at all!

Some time ago I found a torrent with the game but the problem was that it was in russian and it was all put into a package so the emulator was especially configured for the game and there was EXE file which started the game.There were no folders or files that can show what were the configurations...It's not my CPU I'm damn sure this time.

I badly want to play this game since all I've heard it's the best RE ever developed.

Damn you russians!

I can send you the torrent file if you want.

Edited by Machinima

• 1 month later...
Hi , I 've not been here for a while , my new PC runs it perfectly with nulldc v 1.6. Try this version :P

Well my PC is far from new.It has Intel Celeron @ 1.70Ghz 700+ RAM and GForce4MMX SE!

I gave a long time ago for tgis game! I really can't see what is the problem since I've played it in russian perfectly :(

If U have any ideas feel free to tell me.

Just as a reminder, you risk getting banned should you post any torrent links here.

As for this:

I just remembered that I have played the game at full speed with no glitches at all!

Some time ago I found a torrent with the game but the problem was that it was in russian and it was all put into a package so the emulator ....

Are you sure that wasn't a PS2 emulator of sorts? Like you said before, PS2 emulation seems to work on your computer a lot better. Dreamcast emulation, on the other hand requires lots of processing power and a decent graphics card (both which you seem to lack, judging by your problems) to run even remotely smoothly and without graphics glitches. For the most part anyway.

I guess you don't have the requirements , but give version 1.6 a try and tell us what happens.

Agozer , can you tell me a summary about emulation please ? How and with what software they make roms , how they make emulators and put them to work ? Where they begin from ?

I appreciate some secrets too :P

Agozer , can you tell me a summary about emulation please ? How and with what software they make roms , how they make emulators and put them to work ? Where they begin from ?

I appreciate some secrets too :P

Console ROMs are dumped using specialized backup units (i.e. copiers) that are connected to the console in question, and then dump the contents of the cart to a ROM image. Said units also often feature a floppy disk drive, and thus ROM images can also be played on the copiers. There are some exceptions, like the units designed for the SNES games, since many games use proprietary custom chips by Nintendo (S-DD1, SA-1, etc.), which some copiers don't support. The copiers often come with the needed software to perform the dump.

Dumping ROMs from arcade boards is an entirely different matter, seeing how there aren't (or weren't, I don't know what the situation is now) any specialized kits for doing it. This force the dumpers to not only come up with the hardware solutions, but also software solutions created from scratch, usually one for every piece of arcade hardware. As the games and their protections grew more complex, the dumping hardware and software had to be redone. This is the main reason why proper romsets and their emulation for hardware like the CPS-3, Model 2, the Neo-Geo etc. took so long.

With optical media, there really isn't much to it, with the exception of the GameCube, which in itself isn't much of an exception anymore either.

As for writing emulators and making them work... I'm not the expert since I've never done anything like that.

Anyway, developers either get official hardware documentation detailing memory addresses/areas, graphics creation and start recreating that in ASM or C, but this is very rare. In many cases, someone in "the community" takes upon him/herself to see how a running game interacts with the hardware and arduously documents every bit of detail, probably having to again write specialized software to track changes in memory and how/where data behaves and moves when a game is using the hardware.

With the documentation, a developers creates the emulators core, which at first contains the very basic necessities of the emulated hardware. This core itself won't boot any games, but can be tested with various Test ROMs, Demos and self-created test programs to see if the core does the very basics right. Then it's off to emulate graphics, sound, inputs and what have you, to the point when you can see/hear/control something. Then it's just fine-tuning and going over the documentation again, until the devs have something that would be considered a working emulator.

I appreciate all your comments!

I haven't thought if I had played the game using "hidden"(which I described in a previous post) PS2 emulator.I dunno how that escaped my mind!

As for Dreamcast using more CPU power...I'm not really sure about that since PS2 has far more powerful hardware and the simple logic is that it also requires far more powerful CPU.But then again if all I had read about Dreamcast is true that it was a bit difficult to emulate than the PS2...I really dunno.I'll have to find the game with a proper PS2 Emu then.

Again TY to eveyone that posted here!