Problem running MAME

Hey everyone.

I am new to installing/running mame, and I could use some help. Currently I have Windows 7, and am using virtual PC to emulate Windows XP. Within XP I have installed mameui. When I attempt to load any of the games I get the message " Proposed video mode not supported on this device", "Unable to initialize Direct32".

Anyone have any ideas on how to correct this. I've been reading about the topic on forums, but I find that making the display 32bit, or setting the command window to "Window" instead of "Full Screen" makes no difference despite what others have suggested may be the problem. I don't think it is that I am running a virtual pc bc others have the exact same problem. Also, I will mention that I have created the mame .ini file (as others have suggested) to no avail.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-John

Is MAME not supported under Windows 7? I find that hard to believe. Using an emulator to emulate yet another emulator is often asking for trouble.

Anyway, force MAME to use a certain in-game display resolution (i.e. a sane 1024x768x32) instead of leaving resolution to 'Automatic' (or whatever term MAMEUI uses) and see if that helps.

ok so somehow I assumed that it would not run on win 7. I stand corrected. So, now I have downloaded the mameui, loaded same game zips into the /rom directory but they will not run. What happens is I run the game from the mameui console, and it pops up and tells me tons of files are missing. The files are .bin and .rom files. Any idea what I'm doing wrong here?

btw, it's all the games I have loaded, not just a single one.

Thanks

Well, for starters, what games are you trying to run? I'm assuming that you are missing the necessary BIOS files for these games or you didn't get proper MAME sets to begin with.

Gives us a small sample of the filenames/sets that MAME reports as missing.

Well, for starters, what games are you trying to run? I'm assuming that you are missing the necessary BIOS files for these games or you didn't get proper MAME sets to begin with.

Gives us a small sample of the filenames/sets that MAME reports as missing.

Hey. Ok. Here is my setup so far. Mameui is installed in C:\Users\John\Downloads\temp\MameUI64

All accompanying directories related to mame are under that folder (/rom) ect. I have my games under the rom directory still in their zip files.

I am attempting to run Gradius.zip from the UI. Its filename is Gradius (U) [!].nes and it is a 38k NES file. Oddly enough there is many different options for Gradius in the mame UI. I get different files missing depending on which I run. Here is one in particular error message:

pch1-c-8t NOT FOUND.

gr-u4 NOT FOUND.

pch1-c.8p NOT FOUND

gr-u2 NOT FOUND

gr-u3 NOT FOUND

security.prm NOT FOUND.

any ideas?

You are trying to run the NES version of Gradius, and MAME expects the PlayChoice-10 version (an arcade equivalent of the Nintendo Entertainment System). Now let me get this out of the way: MAME does not emulate consoles, only arcade machines.

Most people would rather play the true arcade version of Gradius instead, and not even touch the PlayChoice-10 version. Alternatively, you could play the NES port of Gradius (the ROM image you currently have) in any respectable NES emulator.

P.S. You should never install anything in temp directories.

P.P.S. The proper parent romset for the arcade Gradius is called Nemesis, in accordance with the game's European name.

• 5 months later...