Visualboy Pokemon Emerald Update Help!

DSpwner

Hi, I need some help...

I had version 1.8.0 of Visualboy, but it didn't have the link feature to trade guys in Pokemon Emerald. So I found one with the link feature and downloaded it. Problem is, I try to play the game on the new Visualboy, and it doesn't load...is this a simple problem, and did I describe it well enough? Thanks...

DSpwner

Try VBA-M and never even think about switching to another emulator. Having said that, no GBa emulator does the link features perfectly, so don't feel bad if the link stuff in Pokemon games doesn't work the way you expect them to.

Also, elaborate on "doesn't load".

Hmm...let me see...well, I can play my game fine on the old version, but on the new version of VBA, it's like it doesn't even know a sav file exists for it. I open the same rom on the new version like I did on the old version, but it doesn't have a saved game. Make more sense?

If you mean the latest VBA-M, it by default checks from subfolders inside its folder (for saves, snapshot and batteries), so you can move those files to their respective subfolders, or point to the ones you actually use (only one location for each, so it makes sense to have those in a single subfolder directly. A gui option for switching between this approach and the old way might be considered for later revisions, or a combination of the 2, with subsequent storage of those performed in the same location as they were read from).

And if you mean by "doesnt load" that you get an error message about Directx, you should either update your DirectX (either with the webupdater or installing the full updated runtimes).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...;displaylang=en

Its less troublesome to just paste the latest directx dll into the same folder as the executable, though you might benefit from a generally updated DirectX install.

Edited by Hard Core Rikki

That was...a little hard to understand.

Here is the base problem. I open the rom on the old VBA. It works fine. I have my save file, and I'm happy.

I open the same rom on the new VBA, and I don't have my save file. I am sad.

I'm sorry if I'm a total noob...

I don't think it's VBA-M, just VBA v1.8.0 with the link feature...

Edited by DSpwner

Do you have specific version numbers for these builds? (more exactly, what builds and versions are the 'old' and 'new' one).

VBA-M also has a 1.8.0 SVN version number in the about box, so you might wish to confirm it's not actually that.

Are the saves you mention battery files or savestates?

Well, from what I could tell, the old one was v 1.8.0, without the link feature. The new one is v 1.8.0 with the link feature. I don't remember ever downloading any VBA-M. It might help though...it sounds pretty good.

About the saves...well, the ending is .sav, but whenever it loads it, it says, loaded battery, so that's probably what it is...