DS2Key 1.01 - Now with Windows and Linux console support

sypherce

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

All versions of DS2Key has worked fine for me. Except when trying them out on certain games. Once I'm in the game the none of the controls work. I try it in windowed mode and I can see the info being sent to the ds2key server but not doing anything to the game itself. Sad. Any ideas?

What games exactly? Anything small (and free) that I could get my hands on?

Sure. The only free one I am playing right now is Rumble Fighter.

found here: http://rf.ogplanet.com/

I think my friend who tried this with MapleStory also had the same problem. I'm pretty sure the game is blocking port access because when I try Win2Ds, the game itself stop showing on the DS's screens after the title screen and just kind of sits there frozen until I alt tab.

This has been working perfectly for ePSXe and ZSNES though.

Edited by wonderbread

• 6 months later...

how do i get the mouse function to work? the touch screen just acts as a bunch of buttons. and by the way, add a background when using the touch screen in button mode, so one can actually tell which buttons one is using! thanks!!!

*EDIT*:

okay, all i had to do was switch to a different profile, press done, then switch back to the profile i wanted to use before. the profile just isnt updated right away. perhaps a bug that theeds to be fixed (or SQUASH!ed, lol).

and also, it'd be great if it was compatible with macintosh computers. mac os, etc. without using crossover and crap; i dont own any of the mac computers that i use, so i cant use crossover :(

anyway, its a great application. other than adding a background so you can see what touchscreen buttons you are pressing, and fixing that thing i just mentioned about profiles, and also having the touchscreen be used as if it were a mousepad, its pretty good on the ds side. but mac support is needed along with better gui or watever for linux (who uses linux? i used to; dont like it; never will like it).

this is, by FAR better than win2ds or ds2win. virtually NO lag, works with everything i have tried so far (i dont play online games only nes, snes, gb, gba, gbc, psx, nds, and some pc games). i should check it out on addictinggames.com or onemorelevel.com. but i've been too busy. and, finally, you should be PAYED for the hard work and effort put into this. not that we should need to pay you a nickel each time we want to download it, but, this is just as good as my PHILIPS retractable pc controller. as far as mouse goes, ds2key leaves philips in the dust. as far as ease of use, no drivers to download :D but its only fully compatible with linux and pc. and wireless router is manditory.

i rate: 9.25/10

Edited by endoplasmic reticulum

okay, all i had to do was switch to a different profile, press done, then switch back to the profile i wanted to use before. the profile just isnt updated right away. perhaps a bug that theeds to be fixed (or SQUASH!ed, lol).

Glad you fixed your problem, I'll take a look at that. I don't remember having a problem, but there could be a bug anywhere, it is my code. :D

and also, it'd be great if it was compatible with macintosh computers. mac os, etc. without using crossover and crap; i dont own any of the mac computers that i use, so i cant use crossover :(

I'd love to add support for Mac, but I have none at my disposal. I can't even work on the linux side of things until I move back to my home state either. ;)

• 1 month later...

Hmm. This has been a quiet thread for a while, but here goes:

While playing GBA games with ds2key 1.0.nds and 1.0 server in VirtualBoy, occasionally buttons get stuck. If you've ever played the MegaMan BattleNetwork games, you know how lame it would be to have your d-pad holding down right on the custom screen.

It stops on it's own after a bit, but it's still a major hassle.

Any ideas?

Hmm. This has been a quiet thread for a while, but here goes:

While playing GBA games with ds2key 1.0.nds and 1.0 server in VirtualBoy, occasionally buttons get stuck. If you've ever played the MegaMan BattleNetwork games, you know how lame it would be to have your d-pad holding down right on the custom screen.

It stops on it's own after a bit, but it's still a major hassle.

Any ideas?

It has something to do with your connection quality. The method in how DS2Key communicates it can't have ANY interference. Even when other things will run fine, DS2Key at times can have problems. Try moving your DS and PC closer to your router. If they are already close, it might simply be your router. I've began a rewrite on DS2Key using a better method, hopefully it will come out soon, when I get the time and energy to complete it.

• 3 weeks later...

A cursor aspect, both like a mouse pad (drag and droping the cursor...I can't really explain it) and where the walls of the touch screen are the walls of the computer screen, would be great for those who want to draw on the computer but don't have a tablet. Pressure sensitivity as well, there's a homebrew called "colors" and it actually has calibratable pressure sensitivity, the Touch button visual sectoring is a good idea. Another thing i would want to add, would be (if its possible) to be able to eject the flash card and put it in a separate ds, so two player can play game on one computer. well thats what i think. :)

Edit: ok well, i found out how to use the mouse, but a mouse pad would be realy great be cause, i found you can assign a single button and allow the screen to still acct as a mouse, this would be handy for say halo, jumping and switching weapons would be assigned on one of the side walls, then using the rest of the screen as mouse activation, there after you can still use your mouse in button zones, as long as the stylus is still on the screen. You can assign all but one touch button, and still have mouse (I would leave the two most centered buttons as mouse activation). also, id like see that the menu button be made smaller. maybe only big enough you have to put your stylus right up to the corner, maybe you sould make it customizable? I always manage to hit it.

Edit2(lol): I have a keyboard called Alchemy Elixir, it has media and browser keys on the sides, so i tryed to map to them, the keys registered in the DS2Key computer program, but when I pressed the buttons assigned nothing happened. There is a driver for the keyboard, but I don't have them installed and they still work, Ithink the code is something like 'MEDIA_PLAY' I'm currently opening windows media player, having assigned ctrl and f(next), b(back), p(pause/play) and s(stop), then running around the house doing chores with my ds as a song selector and my wireless headphones. if you could, either find a way to acsess these media comands, or allow a media section. im also working on an image of what the screens could possibly look like.

Edited by rockraven500

A cursor aspect, both like a mouse pad (drag and droping the cursor...I can't really explain it) and where the walls of the touch screen are the walls of the computer screen, would be great for those who want to draw on the computer but don't have a tablet.
The mouse-pad idea is already in my list of things, has been for a while but should be in the next release.

Pressure sensitivity as well, there's a homebrew called "colors" and it actually has calibratable pressure sensitivity, the Touch button visual sectoring is a good idea.
I'm not sure how to implement pressure sensitivity but it is a good idea, although I'm not 100% sure if the DS's limited pressure capabilities would be of use.

Another thing i would want to add, would be (if its possible) to be able to eject the flash card and put it in a separate ds, so two player can play game on one computer. well thats what i think. :D
I know for a fact that I use to do that with my SuperCard CF. Not sure if it still works after implementing libfat support. It also might depend on the card, I'll try to look into it.

Edit: ok well, i found out how to use the mouse, but a mouse pad would be realy great be cause, i found you can assign a single button and allow the screen to still acct as a mouse, this would be handy for say halo, jumping and switching weapons would be assigned on one of the side walls, then using the rest of the screen as mouse activation, there after you can still use your mouse in button zones, as long as the stylus is still on the screen. You can assign all but one touch button, and still have mouse (I would leave the two most centered buttons as mouse activation). also, id like see that the menu button be made smaller. maybe only big enough you have to put your stylus right up to the corner, maybe you sould make it customizable? I always manage to hit it.
Yes, I'm planning on making the touch buttons customizable, which would also makethe button to return from using the touch screen customizable.

Edit2(lol): I have a keyboard called Alchemy Elixir, it has media and browser keys on the sides, so i tryed to map to them, the keys registered in the DS2Key computer program, but when I pressed the buttons assigned nothing happened. There is a driver for the keyboard, but I don't have them installed and they still work, Ithink the code is something like 'MEDIA_PLAY' I'm currently opening windows media player, having assigned ctrl and f(next), b(back), p(pause/play) and s(stop), then running around the house doing chores with my ds as a song selector and my wireless headphones. if you could, either find a way to acsess these media comands, or allow a media section. im also working on an image of what the screens could possibly look like.
I forgot about that problem. At the time I didn't know what to do to fix it and it slipped my mind. I'd like to see your concept of the screens too.

Hopefully I can get some time in the coming months to work on ds2key again. I've been working a full time job and have been unable to get a second to work on it, at least a second where I wasn't exhausted or busy with something I can only get around to on a day off.

Well the Pressure control would be used for a tablet feature, which would be the mouse because of the ease of stylus, pressure giving it depth, I myself have a tablet, but those who don't would benefit, and I know what it's like not to have a tablet, it really sucks.

I know all the stuff I included in my pictures arent going to all be in the next update, but it's something to maybe shoot for.

The panels are left to right then top to bottom.

1. - 3. This is the top screen in different modes, the only difference is the 'Mode' Label. This is where all the settings are here. To use the Top screen click on the bottom right of the bottom screen, this will switch the screens back and forth.

4. This is the main Mouse / Button mode. Options that affect this mode are: Mouse Selection (Should have modes relative and the other(dunno the name) and Mouse/Buttons (Dictates weather the mouse and buttons [or both] are active, touching a mouse zone will activate the mouse then the user will be allowed to slide into a button space without activating the button, this is curently available).

5. This is a Media Player consisting of Play/Pause, Stop, Next and Previous (and possibly a system volume, but when I tried to assign it in the config it didn't register). Options that affect this mode are: Media Player (This allows the selection of Windows Media Player and other common players).

6. This is the Pressure Calibration Screen. Here under Max you push as hard as you would, safely, while drawing. Under Min you press moderatly, when you reach this pressure your screen in mouse mode acts as a left click, anything bellow this level will only move the cursor. Options that affect this mode are: Pressure Sensitive (This allows no pressure, pressure and pressure only to click).

7. Is a sample of what the mouse / button mode would/should look like with some keys assigned to NONE.

8. Is a sample of a dropdown menu, the dropdown disapper when click, activating the selected. The 'Mode' dropdown will automatically switch the screens back.

Hope you like it. :D If theres anything I didn't explain, ask, but I think I covered everything.

post-33397-1256613475_thumb.jpg