getting started on linux

alexis

Well.. Linux is a very different OS. And is also quite complicated. I recommend RedHat Linux as the best.

You can download it @ http://moni.msci.memphis.edu/pub/redhat/li.../9/en/iso/i386/

Download These Files ONLY:

2003-09-03 21:54:09 669122560 bytes shrike-i386-disc1.iso

2003-03-14 03:30:53 677511168 bytes shrike-i386-disc2.iso

2003-03-14 03:35:35 508592128 bytes shrike-i386-disc3.iso

Enjoy! ;)

hi guys anyone know where can i get info to know how to get started with linux and which of them choose, i guess the only reason i would keep windows is because of videogames and emu....... for now

It is a very different OS.

I recommend the Slackware distribution. it used to be 1 CD, but the latest version has it at 2 CDs (4 if you download the 2 additional ISOs with all the program sources).

You can find links for.torrent files over at slackware.com

The latest installer is much improved (a lot faster). Red Hat is ending support for its home (desktop) distribution, and focusing on the Enterprise market. If your still interested in Red Hat (which is easier, although I hear of some people still experiencing some bugs with it that have existed since Red Hat 8 ), head over to http://fedora.redhat.com

If you have a WinModem (as I do) check out Linuxant's web site (I forget the address, but a google search should turn it up).

if you need any help getting started, the people in #slackware on irc.freenode.net are very helpful, and can probably help you get started. There's other channels there for RedHat and Cygwin and GAIM and all sorts of other Open Source projects.

Have fun. :rolleyes:

Edited by nezumi

I tried Red Hat 9, and I couldn't get it to install correctly, kept running into errors and such, so I would recommend Mandrake 9.2, its fairly easy to install, 3 ISO's worth, but its fairly simple to set up partitions and install. I've been running it for about a month or so now, and haven't had any complaints with it.