2008 Review of the PS3

Gouken

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/pl...n-3-blu-ray.ars

The revolution will not be televised, it will be downloaded an update at a time

"Back in the crazy days before the current generation of gaming consoles, the console you bought at retail was the console you had for the life of the hardware. My SNES acts exactly the same now as it did when it was first released, and outside of the addition of Xbox Live, the first Xbox system remained largely unchanged throughout the hardware's life cycle. Those days are long over, and now which version of Sony's PlayStation 3 that you bought is only one part of the equation: welcome to the firmware wars."

Found the article link on GT which refers it back to Digg. It's one of the most popular topics right now and has garnered a huge response!

Digg: http://digg.com/playstation/They_say_it_go...view_of_the_PS3

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The SNES/Genesis days were a world apart. You chose each purchase with a deftness that would have embarrassed any modern gamer. You literally lived with your mistakes. Luckily there were a lot of must-have games courtesy of Nintendo, like Pilot Wings, Zelda etc etc

What genuinely surprised me was the admission from Gouken that the PS3 was outselling the PS2. I find that hard to believe, but I'll take his word for it. (fanboy or not!) j/k :freakingpissed:

The thing I cared most about in that massive list was the price reduction, which I honestly had not heard about yet. I still don't want one, but it's almost an okay purchase if enough decent games come out on it in the future.

The SNES/Genesis days were a world apart. You chose each purchase with a deftness that would have embarrassed any modern gamer. You literally lived with your mistakes. Luckily there were a lot of must-have games courtesy of Nintendo, like Pilot Wings, Zelda etc etc

What genuinely surprised me was the admission from Gouken that the PS3 was outselling the PS2. I find that hard to believe, but I'll take his word for it. (fanboy or not!) j/k :freakingpissed:

I'm not a Sony fanboy, please don't put me in that catagory. But most of the talk and charts I see from GT and VG indicate the PS3 is selling faster than the PS2 did when it had it's start-up. I think the PS2 really picked up when FFX and MGS2 were released.

I'm not a Sony fanboy, please don't put me in that catagory. But most of the talk and charts I see from GT and VG indicate the PS3 is selling faster than the PS2 did when it had it's start-up. I think the PS2 really picked up when FFX and MGS2 were released.

It's still hard to believe the PS3 is selling better though than the PS2 first did. When PS2 was released I bought one and about 20 friends bought one same day. Now I know about 3 people who own a PS3 and don't much care for it.

yeah its hard to believe. everyone had a PS2. I don't know anyone with a PS3. I remember hunting for a ps2 for months after launch. and them being sold out everywhere. since the ps3 was released there have been stacks of them in every store around here.

This information wreaks of bullsh!t.

Kinda like the high scores a lot of sh!tty games have been receiving lately, if anything Sony took a strat from Micro$ and started to pay off the numbers.

What genuinely surprised me was the admission from Gouken that the PS3 was outselling the PS2. I find that hard to believe, but I'll take his word for it. (fanboy or not!) j/k :P

It's still hard to believe the PS3 is selling better though than the PS2 first did. When PS2 was released I bought one and about 20 friends bought one same day. Now I know about 3 people who own a PS3 and don't much care for it.

I never really supported the PS2 so it's a shocker to me as well. I loved my dreamcast until this generation of consoles and wanted a multimedia unit and the PS3 was pretty much it. I bought a PS2 1 year before getting a PS3 because it was a broken system and wanted to train myself on how to repair them.

because I don't believe the ps3 sold better then the ps2 for a minute I did a little digging.

shipments2.jpg

first year comparison of the PS1, PS2 and PS3. from an article on ps3fanboy.com. the whole article is here: http://www.gamerzplanet.net/forums/trash-c...ps2-vs-ps3.html

I can't find the original PS3fanboy post. the search function on that site doesn't work well.

the article trys its best to spin (it is ps3fanboy after all) but it is obvious that the ps3 did nowhere near as well as the ps2.