In Game XMB to debut as soon as June 10th?

Gouken

[uPDATE] In-game XMB coming June 10?

Posted on June 1st, 2008 at 00:31 EDT

Earlier this month we reported that trophies would be coming to the PlayStation 3 in the next system update, firmware 2.4. Recently other news outlets have been reporting similar tips, stating that not only will trophies be available, but full in-game XMB and use of custom in-game soundtracks.

According to Gaming-Age.com, PS3 users can expect such features as universal friends lists and in-game messaging. Also it's been confirmed that Sony already has a title with trophy support on the way. Sony's Official PlayStation website for upcoming Pixeljunk title, PixelJunk™ Eden, has been listed to support the new trophy system.

"The SDK 2.40 will be available to dev. late in June. The actual Firmware 2.40 might see the light of day a lot sooner (my personal guess would be launch aligned or slightly before MGS4 )." - stated PSU’s forum insider.

Also with the addition of improved Audio/Video communication, it's safe to say Sony is finally providing it's users with a better online community, nearing the quality of Microsoft's Xbox Live.

Stay tuned to PSU.com for more information.

UPDATE:

Videogaming247 has obtained some new tidbits of information regarding the above story.

-Sony is currently shifting through the PlayStation 3's library of games in order to see if the XMB is fully compatible or not. It is expected the new menu system, in-game messaging etc will function in all games, though the current black menu screen will likely be retained for the majority of titles.

-User music is only included in new development tools, which have only just been distributed to coders. Therefore, existing games won't utilize the feature unless they are patched to do so.

-The same applies to the new trophy system; developers have only just obtained the tools necessary to input the feature into their software, so it'll be a while until they show up in games.

-Some elements of the XMB won't be usable in-game until after the next firmware update, such as the photo viewer.

UPDATE #2:

According to PlayStationLifestyle.net, Sony plans to release firmware 2.4 on June 10, two days prior to the release of Metal Gear Solid 4. This would make sense as we have already stated that the firmware update was planned to arrive around the same time as the launch of MGS4.

Guess what? That's right, Sony's actually trying to be a good company and come out with features we need. Thanks Sony, I'll give praise on June 10th.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NEARING the quality of Microsoft's Xbox Live.

good job sony, it only a year and a half to NEARLY catch up. pfft.

And neither an In-game XMB nor unified friends lists do Xbox Lives make :banghead:

Sony, online, isn't even close.

Damn xbots, go and enjoy your RROD.

And neither an In-game XMB nor unified friends lists do Xbox Lives make :banghead:

lol I completely enjoyed my RRoD for the 20 minutes I had it before I fixed it with literally 9 cents.

I'll be honest.. I almost bought a PS3 today at Costco.... but I couldn't think of one game I wanted to play on it.

I would say MGS4.... but I hear its 50% cutscenes...... no thanks.

lol I completely enjoyed my RRoD for the 20 minutes I had it before I fixed it with literally 9 cents.

I'll be honest.. I almost bought a PS3 today at Costco.... but I couldn't think of one game I wanted to play on it.

I would say MGS4.... but I hear its 50% cutscenes...... no thanks.

It's the same as any MGS game. Story loaded cutscenes you can't understand half the time, and brilliant directing. If you didn't like any previous MGS you probably won't like this one.

Sorry for snapping, but I don't go into the 360 forum with bad news and 'lol' everywhere. It seems when I have good news about the system, people just come in here and bash it. It's the PS3 forum, for PS3 people. If you don't like the system get out.

lol. I neither like nor dislike the PS3. I don't get why a game that is padded out with so many cut scenes is being touted as the best thing since sliced bread, and a PS3 showpiece?

If I wanted 'brilliant directing' I'd watch Heat. I prefer games to focus on 'brilliant gameplay' instead.

lol. I neither like nor dislike the PS3. I don't get why a game that is padded out with so many cut scenes is being touted as the best thing since sliced bread, and a PS3 showpiece?

If I wanted 'brilliant directing' I'd watch Heat. I prefer games to focus on 'brilliant gameplay' instead.

I love the MGS story, but as for how it is directed, the long, sloppy indulgent crap that passes for Kojima's 'direction' would never make its way film.

And why is it the almighty PS3 showcase? Because the PS3 has nothing else.

xbots

Can you please stop using this word at the mention of any PS3 criticism, please?

I love the MGS story, but as for how it is directed, the long, sloppy indulgent crap that passes for Kojima's 'direction' would never make its way film.

And why is it the almighty PS3 showcase? Because the PS3 has nothing else.

xbots

Can you please stop using this word at the mention of any PS3 criticism, please?

Anyone can find fault in any game. Halo sucks because it's unoriginal. Bioshock sucks because it's too dark and not enough plasmids. Mass Effect sucks because the loading times are horrible. GTA sucks because it has drunk driving in it.

See, I can point out things I don't like about games too. Doesn't mean all aren't great games. Well except Halo. That just really didn't do it for me.

And why can't I use that word? Xbot.