SvC Chaos boot troubles

Alright, so I launch the SvC Chaos ROM (svchaosa.zip) and MacMAME loads it just fine. After the little colour test with the flashing colours and such, I get a crosshatch pattern and nothing happens. I press 1P start and get yet another screen, presenting me with red, green, blue, and white squares as a colour test; the number 5 appears at top right. I press 1P start again and get an IO test screen. I've pressed each button and switch listed and nothing happens other than a 1 appearing in place of the 0 for the button, indicating I've pressed it. I press 1P start yet again and get a sound test menu, great. Nothing much to do there, other than choosing each sound test. Press 1P start yet again, and I have the option to do a memory card test if I insert a memory card. Great, so I press 1P start and get… "Backup Clear, OK = press A,B,C buttons at one time". Pressing A,B, and C together has the same effect as pressing 1P start: a date and time setup screen, instructing me to set the time and date. I'm not particular about what the machine thinks in regard to time and date, so I change the numbers somewhat randomly and press D to set this as the time and date, per the screen's instructions. Press the 1P start button again and I'm right back to the crosshatch screen. Rinse. Repeat.

How do I get out of this thing and play?

Bottom line- get the correct current set and the latest version of MAME.

I can't get the latest version, as MAME OS X never works on my machine and MacMAME hasn't been updated in a long time. It's the only emulator that works on my Mac for some reason. MAME OS X won't stop throwing up errors, so I'm currently stuck with 0.103u2, which is pretty old. The ROM I'm using is listed in MacMAME's list of supported ROMs, though.

Perhaps try using Romcenter with your romset and definitions from your 0.103u2 version of MAME? You might be able to fabricate a set that works that way.

But that's for Windows, and I'm using a Mac (hence MacMAME). Unless there's a Mac port somewhere?

You could try using the Mac port of SDLMAME, it is much more recent.

The crosshatch indicates that the game's program roms are invalid or not found.

Strange, MacMAME's audit says they're fine. I'll check out SDLMAME, hopefully it will work (and some other games which don't work on my current version).

• 1 year later...