Half Life 2 Source Code STOLEN!

Alpha

Half-Life 2 Source Code Stolen

Gabe Newell confirms....

October 02, 2003 - Gabe Newell, Head of Valve Software, creators of the Half-Life franchise, confirmed today that the apparent Half-Life 2 source code leaked today to the Internet is indeed not a hoax, or just a leaked HL2 SDK (Software Developer Kit) which would contain only tools, documentation and some sample code. Valve was able to determine that the code was apparently stolen by someone hacking into their email system and installing keystroke recorders on some systems through an apparent buffer overflow in Outlook's preview pane.

Mr. Newell adds, "What I'd appreciate is the assistance of the community in tracking this down. I have a special email address for people to send information to, helpvalve@valvesoftware.com. If you have information about the denial of service attacks or the infiltration of our network, please send the details...We at Valve have always thought of ourselves as being part of a community, and I can't imagine a better group of people to help us take care of these problems than this community."

It is unclear at this moment how the leak will affect the release of the game, and no suspects have been named.

-- Tom McNamara

Credits: http://IGN.com

---------------------------

Man this is bad news, I hope they don't change the release date or something. :):)

Of course this will set the release date back.

The source is going to have to be altered enough to the point that the source that has been stolen already, will be worthless.

If they release using the source that was stolen, so many hacks will be made for gameplay (Ruining your online play worse than all the aimbots an cheats there already are for Half Life by 10x the ammount)

Copy protection will be able to be defeated at a low level (Right in the source, allowing for patches to be released to 100% KILL copy protection on the spot, instead of using hacked EXE's and other methods that we do with most games)

Unnoficial builds of the game............man I think the list could go on and on.

Expect a BIG delay in the release. If they don't take care of the issue, it would be a VERY stupid move by Valve.