Censor filter: Stay or go?

Censors on the forum...  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll be honest, I think it's silly and I think there should be absolutely no reason for it to be enabled. I'll give a few reasons why...

1. it's not like swearing is even enforced. Unlike Gamefaqs, there is no action taken when someone censor bypasses, becasue honestly, I don't think anyone here cares to do anything about it, thus making any sort of filter ineffective/pointless

2. I realize that this topic has been discussed once before, and it was said that the reason why the filter was left intact was becasue they wanted to keep the forum rated "E." I have a few problems with this statement. One, the filter isn't helping keeping the forum "E" rated, because like I said in point one, people actively bypass it, and two, look at the average user base. I mean to join most forums, you have to be >13 years of age. Not only that, but I'm betting the average here is late teens/early 20s. So in that case, why the need for an E rating? We're all adults here, or close to it, and I think we are all mature enough to handle swearing. If anything, I think a T for Teen rating suits this forum best.

3. Having words changed like that just... changes the tone of the message being posted. It's something that I am rather uncomfortable with... it feels as though whatever I put was watered down... I don't really know how I could explain that better, but some people just don't like what they say to be weell, changed by some software, you know? I honestly think I'm not the only one. The problem with the whole thing is that the filter might turn people away. I;'ll be honest, it was one of the reasons why I stick around with emuforums. It was that and their "nazi-ish," "holier than thou" policies on piracy that made me decide that I wanted nothing to do with that community, and on the other side of the coin, I have never seen anyone complain about language on forums, perhaps you have, but I haven't. I mean we want more users here right? I think that we should do whatever we can to increase the userbase here, and I feel like the filter is hurting more than helping.

ok, my points are made, feel free to discuss and VOTE! (of course :>) it's in your hands now :)

also on another note, this is my 100th post, go me. I think I'll celebrate by attacking Zero with my new weapons XD

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congratulations.. now that you're a premium member, I hope you enjoy the SPAM forum! :(

As for the forum censorship, it's not about being "nazi"-like. The whole point is to build a community that doesn't have to express their frustration with inappropriate words. I can understand people having difficulty with this because some of these words are part of their vocabulary. For me, it's not, and for you, it shouldn't be. By having these words filtered out, it makes you think twice before using a cuss word and it allows you to think of another word that best suits the sentence.

In the long run, you will realize that by using proper language and etiquette while speaking, typing, or writing ... it'll help you achieve higher success and respect. :)

Number 2 was funny and kept me laughing for a minute, I like it :)

This goes both ways... Its really up to the owner of the forum. if the administrator decides to keep things original or substituted with a cleaner sense of what the original prohibited word was. I truely believe it should be more focused on sites that should be blacklisted and substituted with something else aka the forum rules or google :(

For example someone types www.googlehasroms.com it should be substituted with *Read the forum rules* another note is if *read the forum rules* shows up in a posted user comment. that user should not be allowed to edit his post. Hense mods/admins can give a warning out to the user.

Edited by LoRd_SnOw

but saying works like flock and crap can be funny

I know it can be "inappropriate", but who goes to a forum for appropriateness?

It'd be like going to a bar to meet upright citizens.

wait... how did were you able to bypass the filter like that? o_O

edit: and now... it seems as though it was "fixed"... strange, I should have screen capped it... oh well

I also plan to have a rebuttal for gamecop, but I'm teh tired, so I'm going to drag my ass to bed... after I check for other new posts...night

Edited by Reaper man

Personally I don't mind a few swear words but using them in excess can indicate immaturity. The owner wants this place to be seen by anyone without possibly offending their sensitive eyes.

However I would like to see the filter switched off in the spam forum.

but saying works like flock and crap can be funny

I know it can be "inappropriate", but who goes to a forum for appropriateness?

It'd be like going to a bar to meet upright citizens.

wait... how did were you able to bypass the filter like that? o_O

edit: and now... it seems as though it was "fixed"... strange, I should have screen capped it... oh well

I also plan to have a rebuttal for gamecop, but I'm teh tired, so I'm going to drag my ass to bed... after I check for other new posts...night

yeah, someone censored the words for me. Notice how they aren't in bold.

Anyway, all you got to do is enter one of the words with one letter being that letter's keycode.

For example

'u' = #&117;

with that you can also bypass the server's filtering of characters that have a bigger value than 255

Everyone has logical statements and points but I'm leaning over to RM on this one about the swear filter. If we can't have it disabled then at least deactivate it in the Spam Forum. The Spam Forum is only open to Premium Members or higher which prove they can be mature enough to use the words when necessary. I steer away from profanity most of the time, so either way it doesn't affect me greatly.

I never gave it a thought before but I swear like a sailor in real life yet I don't think I've ever sworn on a board. I think it's partly that you never know who will read what you have written, partly that I don't get worked up or argue on boards (it's not that important), and mostly because even ordinary conversation can be misconstrued on the net without throwing expletives into the mix.

I have disagreed with Gamecop on plenty of stuff before (well, not vocally), but I say let it stand. If you can't make your point without swearing then likely it's weak to begin with. But, given the post minimum for the Spam forum I would give people the option to filter or not, if this is indeed possible.

Just to add, I find the use of substitute profanities embarrassing. Either swear or don't! Using flock, fecker, asshat etc etc, are just plain wrong. (Apologies if I sound like an asshat)