Games And Film

whats the worst game to film adaption ever?

my vote would go to mario as they wasted a lot of potential for a good funny movie, other than that street fighter bored me 2 tears :L)

I'd have to say the worst was Tomb Raider.. I don't even know why they are making a second one. I got really bored with the first one. And the fake accent with Angelina Jon-Lee just annoyes me. :wink:

they wasted a lot of potential for a good funny movie
I have to disagree with your assertion that there was any such potential. It was an awful idea from its conception and clearly only designed as an exploitative money making enterprise - which is fine, but lets not go about thinking it had potential.

Tomb Raider was a poor effort also but was a title that may well of had some potential, the style of game though borrowed heavily from the Indiana Jones movies and it could be argued to have been a game based (loosely) on a film which became a film again.

The main problem with these projects is they start with exec's saying - "let's develop this franchise, expand it if you will, into a movie. We really need to develop the (add Branded game here) into a total consumer experience" rather than a creative type saying " I've got a great idea for a film".

See?!

Hey what do you guys think of the mario bros movie that was made 8 years ago. Dennis Hopper was in there and I thought it was alright.

thats one of the ones they are talking about. i agree with xiphoid, it sucked BIG TIME!!!! :wink: so did streetfighter the movie. those two movies would be my choice for the worst video game based movies.

i think the best attempt at a video game based movie, would probably be resident evil. i cant wait for the sequel. :wink:

Hey what do you guys think of the Mario bros movie that was made 8 years ago. Dennis Hopper was in there and I thought it was alright.
Have you read anything in this post? Why did you think it was alright?
i think the best attempt at a video game based movie, would probably be resident evil
Now that was an interesting film that was actually quite well executed but was slightly spoilt by a few too many clichés and poor performances.

I think a large part of the trouble with films, like RE, is that the actors seem to have problems taking it seriously. To take a good example of fantasy acting, such as Reign of Fire and compare it you would see the glaring acting differentials in actors and the way they play the roles. I think that has always been a blight of Fantasy and Comic book and therefore Gaming titles (although most have budget/script and production problems as well). Strangely many Sci-fi films have not gone the same, perhaps because sci fi has an academic acceptability that fantasy lacks.

Yea I thought the Street Fighter movie was a bit of a joke.

It just became stupid as it progressed :wink:

Oh yeah, Can't Forget Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within >_<

Some Video Game Series on Tv were Ok in my opinion like the Super Mario Bros Cartoon.

Usually, most video game adaptations to the big screen are bad. There are not much good ones. The ones from Marvel Comics are doing better.

If there is a megaman movie, I'm just going to go WOW.

A Castlevania might be good though :wink:

Oh yeah, Can't Forget Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within
I could forget that, but that is only because despite it's relative expense it only got a big mention in the media due to it's affect on the bottom line of the company that developed it.

What a risky venture that was, I feel that developing the Final Fantasy Unlimited franchise might have been a better idea, then perhaps design a game within that world. An even better idea might well have been to have farmed production and development to an established studio, it would have been a commercial decision that might well have produced a stable film rather than a flop which all but crushed there film making ambition - tsk... they should give me a job really.

became stupid as it progressed
became? I guess it could be said that it worsened, but it still started at poor and declined from there. It was so dire I never even finished watching it - not quite as bad as John Q, it is a close run thing though.

I have never seen the Double dragon movie, or at least I do not remember it.

i think the best attempt at a video game based movie' date=' would probably be resident evil[/quote']Now that was an interesting film that was actually quite well executed but was slightly spoilt by a few too many clichés and poor performances.

what? RE was one of the most serile films i had ever seen the dicetion was terrible and there was no point in having zombies like 70's zombies just biting people and runniing away, this film could have had real terror but they went 4 the early teen market.

oh i think mario did have potentail as a kids movie think of all the 80s cartoons made as comerials such as transformers, jayce and the wheeled warriors and Dugeons and dragons. these were made as "money spinners" but still turned out well.

All films are made to make money thats the way its always been

anyway this is turning into a good discussion :lol: