Has the FBI came to your door and asked if you have roms?

Alpha

I myself was quite frantic when I saw on every rom site at first that I went too said that you must delete the rom before 24 hours or the FBI may find out or something and charge you. So I am on my couch looking at my watch, dam.. just delete it.. you only have 10 hours left!! 2 hours left.. 1 hour left.. then I am like, maybe this is all a joke? The game is too good!! (Xmen Vs. Street Fighter for MAME) 30 minutes left, 1 minute left, DING DONG. My heart is racing... I open the door and guess what? It's the mail man :D. After that, I probabally downloaded around 20 or so roms a day. However, after the amount of crashes my pc took with Windows ME (worst operating system ever) it was all gone.

So what do you think of these agreements and stuff? To be honest, just about every site, including EmulForums uses the 24 hour rom agreement or the bill clinton act that was signed. I myself still don't buy the 24 hour rom agreement, however many servers including mine do indeed buy it.

Still though.. I think its all bogus.. what do you think? :jawb:

ive always looked at the "agreement" deal as a kind of common curtousy...just to get the heat off. ya know? but, in my opinion, it doesnt work...on either side of the table. peeps that download the roms, still keep em past the 24 hour deadline, and the sites that post the rule, still get shut down. its all rather pointless if you think about it. :jawb: but anyways, you do what you gotta do, right? :D

I never worried about it with MAME, Commodore, Intellivision, etc....

Now, I have been getting ROMs that are still on store shelves and that sorta bothers me. Eventhough I justify it to myself (i.e. I bought a GBA and about 10 games from the store after playing some on VGBA. Something I never would have done if not for playing the emu first.)

I have always felt that I am a pretty minor cog in the whole emu realm. There are only so many Government people and there are a ton of people who DL ROMs. For them to put a clamp on the emulation, and ROM scene, they are going to have to figure out a way to controll what we can and can't get off of the internet, P2P, and FTP. I would guess they will try to pass some sort of legislation that would make our ISP's responsible for our surfing habits, and force them (the ISP's) to police us, or be held liable.

This link DOES scare me though. They nailed my location down to about a mile on the map....check it out. :jawb:

IP locator

When I first started out, I was pretty scared of that. But after while, I thought, "This is really stupid. I just delete it and redownload it over and over again after 24 hours." So I just got over it haha :jawb:

Plus, I try to hide my folders by renaming them to Warcraft 3 lol j/k

That IP locator doesn't seem to be very accurate in the UK. I live near Glasgow and said I was in Manchester, 250 miles away.

The IP Locator only traces where your ISP is. If you live close to your ISP then it will look like its showing your address or where you live, but it really isn't.

AFAIK that 24 hour rule was just made up :jawb: I probably believed it when I first discovered emulation but not anymore. If it is a real law then I think I am slightly past my time limit :lol: Anyway in the UK it is legal to have one backup any kind of destructable media (cds, tapes, carts etc) so I have quite a few legal roms on my computer.

Speaking of ips, some knob tried to access my computer with about 10 different trojans over the space of a day. I got his ip from my firewall and reported him to his ISP(AOL). Suffice to say they have cut off his access permenantly :D I bet his parents will be pissed :lol: Silly little wanker!!!!

Speaking of ips, some knob tried to access my computer with about 10 different trojans over the space of a day. I got his ip from my firewall and reported him to his ISP(AOL). Suffice to say they have cut off his access permenantly [icon_lol.gif]  I bet his parents will be pissed [icon_lol.gif]  Silly little wanker!!!!

Geezz.. what is your FireWall? I need me one of those.. :jawb:

Speaking of ips, some knob tried to access my computer with about 10 different trojans over the space of a day. I got his ip from my firewall and reported him to his ISP(AOL). Suffice to say they have cut off his access permenantly [icon_lol.gif]  I bet his parents will be pissed [icon_lol.gif]  Silly little wanker!!!!

Geezz.. what is your FireWall? I need me one of those.. :jawb:

It's not the best but I am using Norton Personal Firewall right now. It has a visual tracker thing so you can watch it track the person who is trying to attack you. The problem is that all the Norton progs like PF and AV ae pretty bloated and hog a lot of resources, so I might change at some point in the near future.