XBOX 360 Pricing Revealed

Microsoft Wednesday announced two pricing plans for its next generation video game console. When the Xbox 360 goes on sale this holiday season, buyers will be able to purchase a no-frills version for $299.99 or a bells-and-whistles version for $399.99.

The less-expensive core system will feature only the Xbox 360 console with a controller, which has to be plugged into the system to play games. The $400 option will come with a 20 GB hard drive, a wireless controller, a headset (used for talking with other players online) that stylistically matches the Xbox 360 and, for a limited time, a remote control allowing users to more easily access the machine's multimedia functions.

Microsoft also announced the price points for over a dozen Xbox 360 accessories, including stand-alone wireless controllers ($50), detachable 20 GB hard drives ($100), headsets ($20) and Xbox 360 faceplates ($20), which allow users to customize their machine.

Those hoping to take advantage of the Xbox 360's oft-touted high definition graphics will either need to purchase the $400 bundle or buy separate component cables (which will sell for $40) along with the basic system. The lower-end package will ship with standard AV cables.

Source: Morris@CNN via Maarten@Shacknews

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like we'll be getting the usual RGB-SCART setup over here... Unless people buy the ridiculusly expensive package which most likely features the same component cables or S-Video.

About time, should I get $400 360? Or $300 360?

How much would it cost if I bought everything else separite from the $400 bundle?

*shrugs*

the question is will M$ be using DRM so that you wouldn't be able to use a different kind of hd?

whether or not, the other accessories will still cost the same as stand-alone

but I guess its mainly so that you can get the console and stuff now, then you can go out and buy the other stuff after a while

but I doubt you would really need remote control

Edited by Weirdy

The wireless controler is $50 and the 20 gb hardrive is $100 <.<, im getting teh bundle :('.

$100 for a 20gb hd, does that mean it is most likely using DRM???

I'm sure they're thinking that no one would pay that much for a 20gb hd these days so they might look around for something cheap

so it will most likely be using DRM

fwiw, the commercial release of xbox360 might even used to test future DRM that will most likely be used with Windows Vista :rolleyes:

A $100 difference for a 20GB hard drive, a wireless controller instead of a wired one and a stinkin headset? (Don't even bother mentioning the remote, that was said "Limited time")

Am I the only one here that feels thats a ripoff? A 20GB hard drive these days isn't even HALF that cost, and how much difference in cost can there be between a a wired/wireless controller? All told........NOT $100 difference.

A $100 difference for a 20GB hard drive, a wireless controller instead of a wired one and a stinkin headset? (Don't even bother mentioning the remote, that was said "Limited time")

Am I the only one here that feels thats a ripoff? A 20GB hard drive these days isn't even HALF that cost, and how much difference in cost can there be between a a wired/wireless controller? All told........NOT $100 difference.

exactly why I believe the hd will be DRM protected