Man claims he's reduced Windows OS to 40MB

alexis

AN ENTERPRISING SOUL claims to have taken the bloatware out of the Windows 9X operating system and reduced it from the huge size it was to a mere 40MB.And that means his PC boots "in seconds", needs no security updates and flies along like the proverbial off the hot shovel.

The chap even posts free CDs and instructions to people who want to try out his SPEEDOS or STREWTH! operating system.

The 67 year old man and his accomplishments has written all about it on the PC Advisor forums.

You'll have to register at PC Advisor but after that, you'll be able to read all about it, here, and the 500 posts that follow the breakthrough he claims.

He says: "Number of files total, programs and system, 1339. The equivalent 98SE uses 9318."

And adds to his claim: "To balance all that criticism of the company, this is a 100% Microsoft system, born out of the 98SE core, illustrating once again just what superb operating systems they are at heart. Eat your heart out Linux companies, you can NEVER achieve this."

But a reader points out this is kind of bloatware itself, and points to this Windows-on-a-floppy project that gets 3.11 down to between 5MB and 10MB. As Eva would no doubt ejaculate: "Sheesh!" µ

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=8354

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm/go/di...76285/forumid/1

i agree with you 

i think i will give it a try

nothing can be worst than xp anyway

he he. WinME is WAY worse. :) i would definately be intrested in an alternative os to WinME. :?

it doesn´t seem that easy anyway i have been reading the thread and i thikn there are more than one verison of the os and if i didn´t understood it wrong is that you need also some soft to install either hyperOS or someone called mmmmmm i don´t remember it´s name.