Xenogears Crashes (epsxe)

Max

Sup,

Some of you might remember a while back the topic I posted about no sound during vids. well it was the ISO's fault. I got another one and it worked perfectly...until now.

In the 1st Disc after the battle with the Ramsus forces and when the mysterious red Gear whoops him, there is a part where Sigmund talks to some masked lady and she gives something and tells him to take the Gear they found to Block D. Then Fei see's a kind of a movie after which they show him looking at a little boy, right before this it gets a little jerky but when the camera rotates around the little boy the game freezes. The emu or comp don't freeze, only the game freezes.

I'm using:

Epsxe 1.60

PEOpSs SoftDriver 1.16

Eternal SPU plugin 1.41

Xp

2.9 ghz

Has any actually finished this game on this emu? I love the save anywhere function and wouldn't want to switch to VGS unless I have no other choice.

Thanks,

Edited by Max

If what you described is the notorious Fei's dream sequences, try this: Press F7 just before the sequence starts and again after it has finished.

Yeah thats the one.

I tried pressing F7 before the sequence as well as bashing it throughout the sequence, still froze on the same spot.

Then the only thing you can do is to try another emulator, like PSXeven.

Sorry Agozer, it seems my ninkumpoopness has no bounds.

The first tip you gave was the right thing to do. I read on another forum that you had to do it right before the sequence starts (there's a lil while where the music stops) and then right after it ends. My timing was of before is all.

Thanks man.

Sorry Agozer, it seems my ninkumpoopness has no bounds.

The first tip you gave was the right thing to do. I read on another forum that you had to do it right before the sequence starts (there's a lil while where the music stops) and then right after it ends. My timing was of before is all.

Thanks man.

Heh. No worries, it's sorted now. If I'm not mistaken, there's also a few more of these dream sequences where you must use the same method.

man! I just dealt with this issue like three days ago. Took me like an hour to find a workaround on my own. Should have just come here (I eventually just changed a setting in the video plugin and it worked). Silly me not asking for help.

The setting I changed was to extend the draw plane. I'm using Pete's D3D renderer 1.75, and set it to 2 for offscreen drawing and advanced blending.

Edited by Sultan

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished the game and its so jawesome its not even funny. If you had asked me before what I considered the best game of all time then I would give you an instant MGS1 but now I would be pretty hard pressed to decided, so I'd say MGS1 or Xenogears. This game is as close to perfection as it gets.

That being said I just wanted to add what other crashes I encountered:

- During another one of dream sequences a movie like 10 to 1 count appears, it crashed with me on the 10. So the next time I tapped F7 the moment I saw 10 and it worked like a charm.

- During the battle against Deus in the beginning of Disc 2. It crashes randomly during the battle after one specific Deus attack, there is no quick solution. You have to save after pretty much every turn and then load if it crashes, keep doing this till you beat it.

Other than these 3 (total) the game worked flawlessly for me on Epsxe.

- During the battle against Deus in the beginning of Disc 2. It crashes randomly during the battle after one specific Deus attack, there is no quick solution. You have to save after pretty much every turn and then load if it crashes, keep doing this till you beat it.

Other than these 3 (total) the game worked flawlessly for me on Epsxe.

Yes, this bug is very well known. Tht particular Deus' attack uses the PSX Framebuffer in a way that isn't properly emulated, but can be passed like you said above. I don't remember clearly if this is the emulator's fault or the plugin's fault.

(Who knows, this might have been fixed in the latest Pete's plugins... or not.)