The Paul (From Tekken) Judo/Not Judo Thing

Daeval

Ok, I moved this here to keep from flying off topic any further in the previous thread. Warning, this'll be a doozy. I'll start by examining SNKs last conribution:

The whole argument, as you obviously forgot ages ago, was that

1. I said Paul was supposed to be Judo based (based on me forming that opinion in 94, knowing what the designer's were aiming for, whether you feel they achieved it or not).

2. You said he wasn't supposed to be.

Correction: I said that, even though he WAS supposed to be, he sure didn't look like it. Take a look at my original post:

I've never seen a judoka do ANY of that stuff.  He might have a judo-based throw or two, but the vast majority of his moves look more like Akira from Virtua Fighters "Eight-Way Punch" or "Bear and Tiger" style.  It might be what the manual says, but it's lying to you.  :P

There I clearly state that I know that he is officially supposed to be based on Judo (it's even in the manual). What I'm arguing is that he does not represent what he is "supposed to" represent. He does not look like he is doing Judo. Let's move on...

3. I later found proof (proof that I didn't think existed until earlier today) that I was right, he DID use a Judo based style. You then changed your argument to "I don't care what Namco say he is, he doesn't look like it" in a stupid attempt to continue something that was over.

Again, take a look at the quote above. You found "proof" of something that I had confirmed in my original post. My argument was never changed, I merely pointed out that you were arguing something that I already agreed on, and were missing the point of my original argument. My point, as is clear from my original post quoted above, was that he does not look like he is doing Judo, despite that official sources say he is. Let's continue...

And on the "Why isn't Ryu judo", "why isn't bloody Zangief judo"? debacle, you are being absurd  - Ryu's actions wouldn't make anyone think he was supposed to be a judo character. (Just because he uses two throws that could be mis-interpreted as being "judo style") Paul used far more than that, numerous throws and other subtelties that to my mind added up to = Namco attempting judo badly, I didn't think Michelle was supposed to be wrestling based because she had a german suplex for one of her throws....

I was being absurd to make a point. You were saying that Paul looked to you like he was doing Judo. To me, he doesn't look like he's doing Judo any more than Ryu does. The two throws Ryu does (Morote-Seoinage and Tomoe-Nage) ARE throws used in Judo. There's no misinterpretation to be had. Check these out:

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/...oteseoinage.htm

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/tomoenag.gif

Those are Ryu's throws.

Judo throws are borrowed for TONS of characters in fighting games, and that's no big deal. Sarah and Kage from VF, for example, both use several Judo techniques. What I was responding to are your comments like this:

Actually, Ever since Tekken 1 came out in the arcades I knew Namco were going for a judo style character. Although it was appallingly done, I saw that he was 'supposed' to be judo.

My unstated question was "What made you think he was supposed to be Judo (assuming you didn't check the official info on him) way back with Tekken 1?" I took a look at his movelist to try and figure it out myself:

Paul:    Moves:

-----

Forward Jump Kick - F, F + LK + RK

Double Jump Kick - F, F + LK, RK

Double Forward Jump Kick/Kick - F, F + LK, RK, RK

Double Forward Jump Kick/Low Kick - F, F + LK, RK, D + RK

Double Hop Kick - tap U or UB or UF + LK, RK

2 Punches/High Kick - RP, LP, LK

Flip Kick - F, F + RK

Hammer Punch - tap D + LP

Hammer Punch/Power Punch - tap D + LP, F + RP

Ground Punch - tap DF + RP or tap DB + RP

Sweep - tap D + RK

Sweep/Elbow - tap D + RK, RP

Elbow - hold DB, D, DF, F + LP

Power Punch - HCF + RP (just moves forward w/o punching if not

near enemy)

None of those look anything like Judo techniques, so it couldn't be them. The top 5 are flying kicks, very much like Akira's F, F+K, K from Virtua Fighter. Then we have a punch, punch, leaping kick combo, a silly looking flip kick, and a series of Forward-palm style punches and Akira-style elbows, with their accompanying lead-ins. His standard punches and kicks, as well as his stance, are nearly identical to everyone elses, and don't suggest a particular style. So we move on to his throws:

Throws:

Arm Throw - LP + LK

Leg-Push Throw - RP + RK

Rollback Throw - B + LP + LK (have to HOLD B)

Power Punch Throw - F, F + LP + RP

Ok, his Arm Throw is an Ippon Seoinage, and his Rollback Throw is a Tomoe-Nage. The Leg-Push Throw is a Flying Armbar, which COULD be considered a Judo manuever, we'll call it a half. The Power Punch is another Akira-style thrusting elbow/punch.

Ok, so he has 2 and a half Judo manuevers. That's only only one and a half up on Kazuya (who has a hip throw). And that's out of 18 total. The Flip Kick is just silly, and then the other 15 out of his 18 moves look like moves borrowed directly from Akira. So, to reiterate the core statement of my original post:

He might have a judo-based throw or two, but the vast majority of his moves look more like Akira from Virtua Fighters "Eight-Way Punch" or "Bear and Tiger" style.

And that's how I ended up with the Ryu analogy. As already shown, Ryu has 2 Judo throws. Paul has 2 and a half Judo throws, I'll even give you 3 for the benefit of the doubt. That's only 1 more, and out of a much larger moveset. It's clear that Paul (From Tekken 1, where you said you first saw the Judo influence) and Ryu use about the same number of Judo techniques. So, I bring you back to something you said:

Ryu's actions wouldn't make anyone think he was supposed to be a judo character. (Just because he uses two throws that could be mis-interpreted as being "judo style")

You could replace "Ryu" with "Paul" in that last sentence and you wouldn't have to change anything else, as has been presented in the examination of Paul's movelist. If you saw some other connection Paul had with Judo in Tekken 1, what was it?

Since, in the process of examining your last argument, I've basically presented mine, I leave you the floor. ;)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All I'm gonna say at the moment (before I go to bed) is that half of your argument is aimed at Namco. If you don't like how they implement judo, moan to them about it.

I'll talk more about Pauls judo subtleties tomorrow morning when I wake up.

For now, I'm off to bed. ;)

Edited by shin_nihon_kikaku

All I'm gonna say at the moment (before I go to bed) is that half of your argument is aimed at Namco. If you don't like how they implement judo, moan to them about it.

Well, I wasn't really arguing with anybody with my initial post, just pointing out what I observed. I don't really care what Namco wants to call it, all I know is that it doesn't look like Judo to me.

However, you decided to take the opposing stance and in that you charged yourself, not Namco, with defending your position. I look forward to reading tommorow's post, and to keeping this civil as it has been so far (at least in this thread). ;)

You guyz are fawking idiotz! :P What if paul was a judo artist with a "karate" or some shyt influence? What then? It'z like van dam(movie star one). I didn't know what sytle he fought. At first I thought it was karate, then I thought it was kickboxing(the kickboxer) but it didn't seem right cuz hiz style wasn't disiplined enough to be muy thai and it was show-boaty enough to be an american kickboxing. So there you go!

FAWK Q! ;)

You guyz are fawking idiotz!  :P What if paul was a judo artist with a "karate" or some shyt influence? What then? It'z like van dam(movie star one). I didn't know what sytle he fought. At first I thought it was karate, then I thought it was kickboxing(the kickboxer) but it didn't seem right cuz hiz style wasn't disiplined enough to be muy thai and it was show-boaty enough to be an american kickboxing. So there you go!

FAWK Q! ;)

cr_stfu.jpg

You guyz are fawking idiotz!  :P What if paul was a judo artist with a "karate" or some shyt influence? What then? It'z like van dam(movie star one). I didn't know what sytle he fought. At first I thought it was karate, then I thought it was kickboxing(the kickboxer) but it didn't seem right cuz hiz style wasn't disiplined enough to be muy thai and it was show-boaty enough to be an american kickboxing. So there you go!

FAWK Q! ;)

rofl..why you gotta be so harsh??..

it's juat a game with 3d rendering people!!! damn u people are crazy but if ur talking about the comic or w/e then it'll be ok but not the game. just play and dis people