[8/30/04] Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Title: Zombies ate my Neighbors

Genre: Top-down Shooter

Platform: SNES

Uuuuuuuggh...

Guuuoough...

Do not be alarmed, these are not moans of frustration , these are moans of joy. It's

Title.bmp

You play as either Zeke or Julie. I'm not sure if their names are listed anywhere but the instruction book, but I've been callin them that for a while now, we're gonna roll with it.

The object of the game is to save your neighbors from being devoured, or otherwise harmed, by the invading zombies and monsters. There's several different kinds of neighbors. You have the bratty girl jumping on a trampoline, the burger chef, your evil F-giving teacher, and the babely 1000 point cheerleaders. To combat your neighbors, (unkown entity) has sent a wide variety of monster parodies, from your average everyday zombies that walk slowly toward you, to werewolves that decide their going to jump on screen and kill you for wearing clothes. Each stage has 10 victims on it for you to rescue, after which a mysterious dimensional door opens up to take you to the next stage. If one of these monsters manages to catch one of the victims, you'll have one less victim in the next stage. You get bonuses for saving all the victims, so it's very important to get to them before the zombies do.

Zombies2.bmpZombies1.bmp

There's an even wider variety of weapons to choose from. You start out with a squirt gun filled with holy water, you get a lot of this, and it will be your main weapon as you progress through the game. But you'll be picking up weed whackers, shaken-up pop cans, bazookas, silverware (good for killing werewolves), fire extinguishers, and much more, all of which are best used against a single type of enemy. You also have secondary items that heal you, or transform your body in some way. Various potions allow you to move through enemies, destroy enemies with your new mutant fists, or become a zombie yourself and walk around aimlessly for a bit.

Zombies3.bmpZombies4.bmp

For accomplishing certain tasks in various places, you'll recieve several odd bonuses that add up to BIG points for you. Points will restore lost victims, give you an extra life, or give you...more points.

Bonus3.bmpBonus2.bmp

Bonus1.bmpBonus4.bmp

The graphics are...well, not perfect, but they're good enough for a SNES game, and fit the theme of the game well. The sound on the other hand, IS perfect. This game has my favorite soundtrack to date. Unfortunatly, I'm having trouble actually finding it.

The controls are fairly stiff, and sometimes you'll be moving toward a neighbor, only to barely miss it while a zombie comes up from behind you and takes the kill.

Gameplay: 10/10

Graphics: 9/10

Sound: 10/10

Controls: 8/10

Overall: 9.5/10 A+

You should play this game if: you have hands.

EndBonus.bmp

This game was excellent. I really enjoyed playing it when it came out back in 1993. I've played it on an emulator too and I still love it. Nice review. :D

I don't personally know anyone who's beaten it.

I personally have never gotten past the 36th stage.  And that was a while ago.

Play it on an emulator and save your state often. You'll have no trouble with any game that way. Obviously it's less fun this way, but if you wanna see a particular game but suck at it, use it. It's the console game equivalent of the dreaded Quick Save. :D

Good review, I enjoyed the game, but obviously not as much as you. 9.5/10 :)

I see quite a few games being over-rated on here, it's probably because you wouldn't write a review unless you loved it to death (or dispised it, in the case of my MGS2 review).

I don't personally know anyone who's beaten it.

I personally have never gotten past the 36th stage.  And that was a while ago.

Play it on an emulator and save your state often. You'll have no trouble with any game that way. Obviously it's less fun this way, but if you wanna see a particular game but suck at it, use it. It's the console game equivalent of the dreaded Quick Save. :lol:

Good review, I enjoyed the game, but obviously not as much as you. 9.5/10 :rolleyes:

I see quite a few games being over-rated on here, it's probably because you wouldn't write a review unless you loved it to death (or dispised it, in the case of my MGS2 review).

Yeah, this game symbolizes the point in my life when I gave up on playing sports, or for that matter, anything involving physical activity.

I hold a special place in my heart for this one... *tear*

But then, I've been going on IRC and asking for random games to review, just because I enjoy it. So these games aren't all ones I love.