[8/18/04] Virtua Fighter 32x

Game: Virtua Fighter

System: 32X

Emulators: GENS

VF32xscreen1.th.jpg

Well I wanted to start off with VF 1 the arcade/Saturn version but I don't own a Saturn and I have not played either one of those two versions in a long time, so to be fair I guess I have to start off with something I have immediate access to. Virtua Fighter for the 32X. When I fist downloaded this game and loaded it up in my GENS emulator I was so excited, but after watching the intro and playing it for about 10 minutes it was just 50 percent quality port of the original arcade classic that was nothing more than a last ditch effort by sega to make a buck off of the dieing Sega 32X. Everything just feels poorly executed. I mean it's not a total piece of trash but it certainly cannot compare to the Saturn version. Details, resolution, and overall visual appeal have taken a step down from its arcade counter part. The control’s and game play were converted from the arcade to the 32X pretty well that is what saves it from being a total waste. It can be fun playing through arcade mode or playing competitively with a friend, even though at times it can be hard to look past the visuals. It's not a bad game nor is it a great game, it's just a watered down version of the original VF. It's by far the best fighter available for the 32X, but that is not saying much since the fighting wise the 32x library was very limited.

VF32xscreen2.th.jpgVF32xscreen3.th.jpgVF32xscreen4.th.jpg

Controls: 8

Good for the most part, sadly I am using a keyboard (as I do with all emulators I use) I got to use a pad for a while when my friend was over and it was great. But I suggest getting a arcade stick, for the real VF arcade experience, or close to it.

GamePlay: 7

This is where the game really shines, and it's only strong point. This is VF and that's what saves this game.

Graphics: 4.5

Very poor quality, no where near the quality of it's arcade/saturn counterparts.

Sound: 6

Poorly done, bad conversion from arcade to 32X. But this is the best the 32X has to offerso I took that into concideration.

Overall Score: 6.375

Meh it's medicore at best if you don't have acess to a saturn this is as close as your going to get. Inless ofcourse you download VF 1 Remix for the PC.

Grade: D

Overall I give this game a :P

8/20/04

• Fixed Image Links By: GameCop

Edited by GameCop

Hey Fatal, Imageshack has been having problems. Links to pictures haven't been working lately. But the first VF I played was for the Saturn and it was a joy just because it was 3D. Haven't played it in forever so I can't comment on the gameplay aspect, but it was stunning back then.

Edited by GryphonKlaw

No, the graphics weren't as good as the Saturn versions, but this was a generation behind those games! For 3D graphics on what amounts to an overpowered genesis, this game looked pretty good!

Here's my review:

They took Virtua Fighter and turned it into a 32X game. It's as true to the arcade experience as they could probably manage on this console. The gameplay, while possibly just a tad slower, is almost perfect. There is an interesting "style" mode as well, kind of a pre-cursor to Kumite mode that ranked you based on your style.. The graphics and sounds are not as good as the arcade's, but are as good as any other 3D game on the 32X. They also added several new (at least, new from VF1 arcade) color variations for each character.

You might look at it as a way to make money off the license (which has never been huge in the US), but I think of it almost as a service to us kids who didn't have a Saturn at the time (when they were still new and really expensive). This game meant 32X owners could play the game they loved without shelling out for a pricey next-gen system, and the only real drawbacks were merely aesthetic; limitations of the hardware that were already well known. For a system that barely compares to the power of the real arcade machine, this port came out extremely well.

Reminds me of the April Fools joke someone played at Neo-Geo where he took an unlabled cart of Kikuza Encounter and replaced it with the kajified wordings of "Virtual Fighter" on the cart and photoshopped a pic with the game running on Neo-Geo Hardware.

Those graphics are awesome! I think real 3d ruined the market. It opened it up for lameass games that all the "normal" people buy, disbalancing the charts of sales and such. Of course Disgaea's sales were "bad"! It's not a sport/military/popular RPG title!

Of course Disgaea's sales were "bad"!  It's not a sport/military/popular RPG title!

At least it's gaining popularity little by little.

Back to topic: The 3D models are a bit cruddy, but ground-breaking at the time.

Ive played every other VF game after 1 on rare occasions, but have never played them enough to even get a feel of the games. My first time playing VF1 was on the 32X (via emu :D) and i can definitely say that it was the game that got me permanently hooked into VF. I was playing this game nonstop in 2002 when most peeps were playing VF4 or other 3D fighting games. I didnt mind the graphics either, as crappy as they are. Probably 2nd best looking 32X game behind Darxide. Sega made a good decision in porting VF to the 32X, probably to make amends over the disaster that was the 32X and not to try and let the system die without a killer app. This game makes me wonder how much more couldve been squeezed out of the 32X (there are screenshots of early versions of Daytona,Clockwork Knight,and Pazer Dragoon for 32X out there, interesting they are). But the fact of the matter is, this port is rendered useless by the Saturn VF Remix (and even the original version to a point) but for those who dont have a Saturn (like me) itll make due. In fact i have VF1 Remix,VF2, and Fighters Megamix but am just waiting to get a Saturn someday. I figured if i wanna get good at VF ill start from the very beginning :D

• 2 weeks later...
Ive played every other VF game after 1 on rare occasions, but have never played them enough to even get a feel of the games. My first time playing VF1 was on the 32X (via emu  :P) and i can definitely say that it was the game that got me permanently hooked into VF. I was playing this game nonstop in 2002 when most peeps were playing VF4 or other 3D fighting games. I didnt mind the graphics either, as crappy as they are. Probably 2nd best looking 32X game behind Darxide. Sega made a good decision in porting VF to the 32X, probably to make amends over the disaster that was the 32X and not to try and let the system die without a killer app. This game makes me wonder how much more couldve been squeezed out of the 32X (there are screenshots of early versions of Daytona,Clockwork Knight,and Pazer Dragoon for 32X out there, interesting they are). But the fact of the matter is, this port is rendered useless by the Saturn VF Remix (and even the original version to a point) but for those who dont have a Saturn (like me) itll make due. In fact i have VF1 Remix,VF2, and Fighters Megamix but am just waiting to get a Saturn someday. I figured if i wanna get good at VF ill start from the very beginning  B)

:) Very well said bro. I totally understand what you mean. But hey you should check out VF remix, VF 2, and Last Bronx for the PC, you already have a 100 post so head over to the Request a Rom forum and go get em. :naughty:;):punk:;)