Doa2le And Others Fix...

Dead Or Alive 2 Limited Edition Fix

(originally by akito20 at emutalk.net forums)

WARNING! For very advanced users!!!

First, you need to download a few programs:

Free Hex Editor (FreeHED)

FastBoot utils

Daemon Tools

Since the explanation is so long, here's a summary:

STEP 1

Copy all the files in the game CD onto the fastboot\data\ folder

STEP 2

Make a copy of 1ST_READ.BIN and move it to a folder outside the fastboot folder

(so that you don't mess with the original file).

Using the Free Hex Editor utility, delete blocks between 0x00000 - 0xEFFFF in 1ST_READ.BIN and save.

Make a backup of the original 1st_read.bin and place the hex edited 1ST_READ.BIN in main fastboot folder.

STEP 3

Run 'BINHACK.EXE'. Type:

1ST_READ.BIN for the name of binary

IP.BIN for the name of bootsector

0,0 for the msinfo value

FINAL STEP

Run b2b_game.bat

b2b_game.bat creates a cd image called 'image.cdi'. Use daemon tools to mount the image and test in Chankast

After installing Daemon Tools, Free Hex Editor and extracting fastboot utils to a folder we can begin.

I extracted the fastboot utils in "D:\fastboot\". You can use whatever directory you wish.

STEP 1

-Have a non-bootable image (iso,cdi,nrg) of your game ready.

-Using daemon tools, set up a virtual CD drive and mount the image of your game (if you don't know how

this is done in daemon tools search the internet for tutorials).

-Open your fastboot util folder.

(You'll find a folder within the fastboot directory called 'Data'.)

-Open up the directory of the (virtual) dreamcast game cd drive. Copy all the contents of the virtual

cd onto the 'Data' folder.

STEP 2

-Now you should have all the game files in the fastboot\data directory. Copy the 1ST_READ.BIN file

found in the data folder to another location outside the fastboot util folder. You will edit this file

with the 'Free Hex Editor' utility.

-Open 1ST_READ.BIN with the 'Free Hex Editor' utility.

- Click on Edit->Select Block (or Ctrl+E with the keyboard). In the dailog box, leave the first text box

(start selection value) as it is and type xEFFFF in the second text box (end selection value) then press

OK.

-You will find that some of the entries are highlighted yellow. Now press the delete button (on your keyboard)

and press OK on the dialog box that appears. Save the file and exit the 'Free Hex Editor' utility.

STEP 3

-Copy the 1ST_READ.BIN file you edited back to the main fastboot directory (NOT the data directory).

-Now run 'BINHACK.EXE'. Now type:

0,0 for the msinfo value

If all goes well the 1ST_READ.BIN and IP.BIN files should be patched.

FINAL STEP

-Run b2b_game.bat and wait. b2b_game.bat creates an image file called 'image.cdi'.

-Test this file by mounting it on your virtual daemon tools drive, selecting the drive letter in chankast

and running chankast. You then cross your fingers :lol:

This method works for Dead Or Alive 2: Limited Edition and Virtua Striker 2.

Both these games wouldn't run otherwise and are listed as not working in compatibility lists.

Virtua Strikers 2 is listed as a non-working game yet i'm playing it on my pc:

title.jpg

anthem.jpg

gkick.jpg

instructions.jpg

It hasn't been tested on other non-working games but there is no harm in trying :P

Edited by mashakos

If all goes well the 1ST_READ.BIN and IP.BIN files should be patched.

Do i have to do somethin with this bins? Copy to the Datafile or somewhat? Tested both, with and without these bin files, Soul Calibur2 won´t boot. Every Games, that iw start selfbooting with the bin2boot tool, isn´t selfbotting on Chankast.

And is the Hex Editing correct? Everytime, and with every game, deleting the same range of data?

Do i have to do somethin with this bins? Copy to the Datafile or somewhat?

The final 1ST_READ.BIN should be in the main fastboot folder, and the IP.BIN should be in the fastboot\data folder. So for example in my pc it would look like this:

1ST_READ.BIN - in d:\fastboot\ folder

IP.BIN - in d:\fastboot\data\ folder

Tested both, with and without these bin files, Soul Calibur2 won´t boot.

I tried this method with soul caliber and it won't boot either :(. There is another method to turn a Soul Caliber cd image into a self-boot image and that is using the self-boot hack by Echelon 2000. Use that one.

Did you say Soul Calibur 2 ??!!

And is the Hex Editing correct? Everytime, and with every game, deleting the same range of data?

As far as i understand it, you should delete the same range for all games. In akito20's post DOA2:LE worked by deleting in that range. I tried the same Hex editing with Virtua Striker 2 and it worked. Don't know of any other ranges so you should stick with the one mentioned until something new comes up.

Since the explanation is so long, here's a summary:

STEP 1

Copy all the files in the game CD onto the fastboot\data\ folder

STEP 2

Make a copy of 1ST_READ.BIN and move it to a folder outside the fastboot folder

(so that you don't mess with the original file).

Using the Free Hex Editor utility, delete blocks between 0x00000 - 0xEFFFF in 1ST_READ.BIN and save.

Make a backup of the original 1st_read.bin and place the hex edited 1ST_READ.BIN in main fastboot folder.

STEP 3

Run 'BINHACK.EXE'. Type:

0,0 for the msinfo value

FINAL STEP

Run b2b_game.bat

b2b_game.bat creates a cd image called 'image.cdi'. Use daemon tools to mount the image and test in Chankast

hmmm... something's wrong here guys, daemon tools AND alcohol 120 say they cannot access the stupid cdi file. Nothing is accessing the file now.

Here, I'll prove that b2b_game says it's all right...

Boot filename: 1ST_READ.BIN

Boot filename length: 12

searching for: 1ST_READ.BIN;

1ST_READ.BIN; cursor: 206

A record for the boot file was found.

record position: 160

size: 1929928

WinCE flag is not set in the ip.bin.

Please wait while the cdi is being written...

cdi cursor pos: 350400

cdi cursor pos: 182725425

Data track length: 318960

track and pregap length: 319110

cdi cursor pos: 182731740

Data track length: 0

track and pregap length: 150

VGA Box support is enabled.

The ip.bin and boot file were hacked.

Done. 'image.cdi' is ready to burn as a self-boot.

BTW, is it supposed to be 174MB?

Edited by Hiroshi Nohara

well, when I burnt it onto a CD, it became 645MB. It's really weird, I tell you, because that CD gets recognized by the Dreamcast BIOS as an audio CD of sorts.

Do i have to do somethin with this bins? Copy to the Datafile or somewhat?

The final 1ST_READ.BIN should be in the main fastboot folder, and the IP.BIN should be in the fastboot\data folder. So for example in my pc it would look like this:

1ST_READ.BIN - in d:\fastboot\ folder

IP.BIN - in d:\fastboot\data\ folder

Tested both, with and without these bin files, Soul Calibur2 won´t boot.

I tried this method with soul caliber and it won't boot either :mrgreen:. There is another method to turn a Soul Caliber cd image into a self-boot image and that is using the self-boot hack by Echelon 2000. Use that one.

Did you say Soul Calibur 2 ??!!

Thanks for the answer. I meant SC 1. And the echelon method, that´s the method i work best with. The only problem with it is, that i have to burn it "really", and can´t work with virtual drives, or other HD-Stuff.

OK I'll clarify this...

Is the final image.cdi made out of the DEAD OR ALIVE 2 LE CD image supposed to be 174MB? Because that is what I got, and I can't mount it using a virtual drive (BIGGIE!!!) Alcohol and daemon tools both refuse to mount the stupid thing. However once I burnt it to CD, it looks like an audio/data trick thing, but it still won't selfboot. And no, Utopia doesn't work.

EDIT: today's retry of this ended up being 172MB.

Edited by Hiroshi Nohara