[11/13/03] Deus Ex

Created by Rag

Game: Deus Ex

System: PC or Playstation 2

Emulators: None

Now here is a great game. I highly recommend this game if you like First Person Shooter (FPS) RPGs. This game has so much to do in it. Its a great epic where you take the role of a man named JC Denton. Well, you COULD call him a man, but he is much more. He has been augmented with great technology that makes him have many more abilities than any normal human would. You start out in New York where a mysterious new virus has inflicted the people, the virus' name? The Black Death. Your mission is to find the cure, but as you progress in the game, you will find out your future holds more than just finding a simple cure. You will travel to many different areas of the world looking for what you seek.

Deus Ex uses RPG elements, along with FPS gameplay. You can gain experience points, but these EXP are not used to level up, they are used to upgrade your abilities. You want to lock pick? You level it up. Want to be an expert sharpshooter with a rifle? Level it up, catch my drift? You usually get EXP by completing certain tasks or missions. The beauty of this game is that you get to choose what happens, and where you want to go. This is to some extent of course. Let me give you an example: Say your in New York and you see 2 guys mugging this one old man. You can either:

A. Help the man by ridding the world of the 2 muggers

B. Help the muggers by getting rid of the man

C. Killing them all and taking all the prizes for yourself

Depending on how you do certain things, you will get different amounts of EXP as well. In addition to the natural upgradable abilites you already have, you also have more bionic powers. These powers can be upgraded by using augmentation canisters which are rare, but effective when you find them. These bionic abilities can be anything from a light source, to super human strength.

Basically, in this game, you get to choose what you do. You can be a pacifist, a mass murderer, or just an everyday guy doing his thing. You can do your job, if you work for a company, or you can disobey your orders and do whatever you feel. Overall, this is a great game if you ask me. If you haven't played it and enjoy FPS's with a bit of a twist, you should try this game out. I find it all over for only $9.99, definatly worth that price. For all of you who have played and enjoyed this game, the scheduled release for the sequel in the U.S. is December 2nd-3rd. You can bet that I've got the sequel reserved

Speed - 9.5

Gameplay - 10

Graphics - 9.5

Sound - 10

Overall Score - 9.75

Grade - A and half a +

Overall, I give this game a ;)

The game never shipped with multiplayer support.

However a patch was released after awhile to support multiplayer. (PC only)

I own this game, and I did try out the multiplayer once it came 'round.

IMO the multiplayer gets a little boring (Due to the maps for the most part) and the network code implemented is laggy (I lagged on a LAN for crying out loud).

However since the game runs on the Unreal engine, by now there are probably quite a few users mods and maps etc...and maybe they've cleaned up the network code since the first few patches supporting multiplayer.

P.S. This game is now 4 years old, so you should probably have a machine more than capable of running it. And it hasn't been undergoing any support work (patches etc) in quite some time.

Deus Ex one is NO GOOD for multiplayer, trust me. All it is, is repetetive. Plus, when i tryed the multiplayer patch, it messed around with some stuff in single player and i got bugs. So if your looking for a good multiplayer game, you might wanna get something else. As far as multiplayer for Deus Ex 2 goes, I have no clue, but I think it will have it.

• 5 months later...

I thought Deus Ex was good...but for a FPS, the action in the game was awful. The weapons felt so impotent, and headshots sometimes worked, sometimes didn't. The action mechanics in the game should have been much, much better.