[12/20/07] Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy

Genre: 2D Fighting

Number of Players: 1-2

Emulators: Gens 32

Ultimate Mortal Kombat Trilogy is a Sega Genesis hack of Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3. This is a fan made hack made for the purpose of including every 2 Dimensional Mortal Kombat character ever created. It features characters that weren't in Mortal Kombat Trilogy. These new characters are the ones taken from MK I and II. All of these new characters have been given an entire new move set, astray from the basic punch and kick. They have combos which enables them to fit in with the more advanced MK III characters. There are also new fatalities that haven been added to both new and old characters. Most of these contain never before seen combo initialization combos. Even boss characters have their own fatalities and aswell as a new combo integrated move sets which makes them more lethal than ever. The creator of the hack Kabal_MK, who is such a significant fan of MK that he/she added characters that should have been created and participated to begin with, this includes the second Noob Saibot, which is a MK II version of the character. Noob Saibot takes the silhouette of MK II's Sub-Zero, and has an entirely different special moves from the UMK III Noob Saibot. Also, the MK I Shang Tsung has a radical fighting style, the hackers made the character in a way that he could mimic all MK I character move sets without transforming, and all 3 Shang Tsungs can transform into boss characters. Basically all unwanted limits to the game are broken which makes the game extremely enjoying.

newtable.gif

A total of 69 characters.

Although, there are still some graphical errors that cold have been cleaned up. Like at the character selection screen, where some character palletes look 8-bittish and crappy. Mostly this is the case with the MK 1 characters. Their faces have pallete color errors, but this does absolutely nothing to affect the gameplay. Like I should have stated before, theses are just personal opinions. Another thing that bothers me is the difficulty level of the AI, the AI is still complete rubbish, even though this is still a remaining flaw in MK history, it's still pretty aggravating and frustrating in this situation considering the wide variety of characters. Now to comment on the new features of the game. The game allows a player to activate a feature called "MERCY", where during a fatality, the character can grant the near death opponent mercy, if this happens then the fatality mode deactivates in the game allows you to grasp at another attempt yo kill your opponent. But in reality this mostly does not justice, considering the AI difficulty level, they will most likely kill you again before you even think twice about finding a way to kill that player. Nevertheless it still can be useful at times and should not be overlooked by MK newbies. Some fights in arcade mode will consecutively, sometimes this can come up to six or seven more bosses on one team depending on how high you are on the "Choose your Destiny" tower. The higher you are, the more characters you have to face at once. It's wise to choose a boss character for these type of matches, because they contain extreme strength and some attacks can be spammed over and over again so that our character would be unable to move. Using boss characters is basically considered as a last resort if you are continuously getting pwned by the computer. One character that is nearly impossible to defeat no matter what level the difficulty is set at, is Shoa Kahn. This guy is quick and powerful, and he can literally "womp" your ass ten fold.

zones.gif

Any MK fan will appreciate the work done by Kabal_MK, because this game is by far the best 2D MK game created.

http://umk3.hacking-cult.org/eng/download.htm

Sound: 10

Gameplay: 10

Graphics: 9

Grade: A

Also is it just me or are there no Low Punches in this game?

I don't think there are. Playing this game on a PC without a controller is a hassle, it's a hassle to play MK using a keyboard.

In my case this does not matter, I use an emulator for my Xbox so I can use a controller. The game only allows 6-button configuration, this is where the mistake of Kabal making the hack for the Genesis which only contains 3 buttons. The 6-button configuration and the emulator configuration just don't cope with each other.