[05/10/2007] DJ Max Portable 2 Metallic Silver Limited Edition

Game: DJ Max Portable 2 Metallic Silver Limited Edition

System: PSP

»» Purchase DJ Max Portable 2

pa-8.jpg

I seldom buy original games. In fact, most of my games are 90% pirated/downloaded (10% original games

are mostly PSP games and some classic PC games). When Pentavision announce that they will release

the limited edition for DJ Max Portable 2, I was really pondering whether to get it or not. The price is not

cheap, at a hefty USD160, not including shipment. Do I really want to miss this out and just get the game

like what I did for DJ Max Portable 1, one of my favourite PSP game? Will the songs be as good as the

first one?

Finally, i did decided to get the limited edition. I manage to get the Metallic Silver Limited Edition after

waiting for it for one month, checking PlayAsia everyday for the release. So, does it really worth the

USD160 price tag? Read on.

*Review will be done in two-parts; 1st for the game and 2nd for the limited edition*

Game Review

pa-7.jpg

The saying "If it ain't broken, don't fix it" couldn't be more true in this game. Pentavision has carry forward

everything from DJ Max Portable and add some minor improvements here and there. Graphically, you won't

notice much difference between the first one and this game. However, take a closer look and you will

notice that some works have been done on the graphics. You will notice some nice animations whenever the

game load a new song to play. The music videos are done nicely too. They are done more like music videos

now, not some images adding up together to resemble a music video in the 1st one.

pa-6.jpg

The controls are still a nuisance, no thanks to PSP's own restriction. it is still a pain whenever you need to

use the analog stick and it always cause me not to get perfect on the songs. But somehow, with practise,

I managed to get used to it but trying to press down+circle then immediately rotate the analog stick is

a challenge. Music-wise, i found that I like the songs in DJ Max Portable 2 more (thankfully!). Some people

complained that there are too many English songs in this game, but I am ok with it. At least the English

pronouncation in this game is much much better compare to the first one ("Ralk ol dye" instead of "Rock

or Die"!) As usual, the sound is top notch and best played with a Sony earphone. Pentavision also improved

on the sound output by turning up the volume when you played using the PSP speaker. In the first game,

you can barely hear the songs when using the speakers.

pa-5.jpg

Gameplay basically remain the same. You are still required to hit the correct buttons whenever the note

reach the bottom to get a tune that will synch with the music played. THose that are familiar with games

like Beatmania, EX2DJ, O2Jam will feel at home with this game. But that doesn't mean you can master

game easily. The difficulty of the game is still high in this game and you will need to practise, practise

and practise to master the game. The usual game modes from the 1st game are still here. 4 Buttons mode,

6 buttons mode, 8 buttons mode and freestyle play are all here. New addition is the Fever mode and

the Mission mode. Whenever you hit a correct button during gaming, a bar will slowly fill up. When the bar

is full, you will get the chance to activate the Fever mode where all your combos will be multiplied!

You can reach 2X, 3X, 4X and the max 5X multiply and all your combos will multiply, giving you a higher

score and higher combo rating. It really helps in unlocking some of the unlocked secrets (one unlockable

need you to get 99999 combo rating in Freestyle mode. Good luck on that one). Misson mode is a mode

where you must achieve certain criteria in order to pass the mission. it can range from getting 2 fevers

for every songs, or playing with an upside down screen and so on. Challenging and fun. The unlockable

system was refined and you will have to meet certain criterias to unlocked songs, notes, gears, discs and

so on. Good improvement here. And also, you can now save the unlocked images to the Memory Stick

and use it as your PSP wallpaper. Yay! as the pictures are really beautiful for some.

pa-3.jpg

pa-1.jpg

Like the first one, you still get the O.S.T mode where you can listen to the songs and the MV mode

where you can view the music videos for the songs in the game. Several new modes have been added

here too. You get a Network mode where you get to battle it out with your friends. I have not tried this

mode out so i can't comment much. The other mode is the Link DIsc mode where it allows you to

play the Dj Max portable 1 game with the Fever mode available. The only downside here is you don't get

to watch the music videos when playing the Link Disc mode.

Oh, and another plus of this game is you can change the language to Japanese, Korean or English!

Very import friendly.

pa.jpg

Overall:

Graphics: 9/10

Sound: 10/10

Control: 6/10

Gameplay: 9/10

Overall: 8.5/10

THis is what a game sequel should be; keep all the good points intact and add additional features to

make it a better game than its predecessor. The ability to play it in English didn't hurt either.

ANother game that you shouldn't play on ISO.

Metallic Silver Limited Edition Review

IMG_0241.jpg

THis is how the box look like. Silver in colour, quite beautiful and heavy. The lid has some magnetic coin

on it that help you keep the lid close.

IMG_0244.jpg

opening up the box and you will find a thin sheets of paper covering the items inside

IMG_0245.jpg\

This is how it looks with all the items still inside. you can see the audio cds, the game itself and the jigsaw

puzzle.

IMG_0254.jpg

A view of all the items together

IMG_0263.jpg

Close shots of the game box. you can notice the titties on the girl B)

IMG_0264.jpg

A shot of the audio cds which was called the DJ Max Portable 2 Audio Trinity.

You will get 3 dics inside; Black, White and Red.

IMG_0267.jpg

IMG_0274.jpg

You will also get a lyric book attached on the box. Frankly, I would prefer it if they let

us take out the lyric book instead of gluing it to the box. You can also see photos of the

music composer. Ruby Tuesday is a 50s couple!!!

IMG_0275.jpg

This is the jigsaw puzzle and a poster of the jigsaw puzzle. In actual, i prefer the Midnight

Black version where the puzzle look much nicer and not so cartoonish, but I won't complain.

pa-9.jpg

THe postcards (i accidentally delete my shots so I take the sample from PlayAsia).

I don't know what to do with these except gawking at the photos (which can be done in one minute)

IMG_0281.jpg

The visual book, where you get to see Pentavision's artists works.

IMG_0283.jpg

IMG_0290.jpg

IMG_0286.jpg

Consist of high quality images and drawing. Great collection.

And finally to complete your geekiness,

IMG_0278.jpg

An NB Ranger Mask!!! muahahahaha, all couples, fear me!

Conclusion:

So, is it a good buy? Well, after much consideration, I would say that the purchase was a little

too expensive. I absolutely love the Audio Trinity and the game (and the mask!), but it is still

not worth the price of USD160. If you can get the songs and the game, that should be more

than enough. Still, I would treasure this Limited Edition and keep it with my other original

classic PC games :roll2:

»» Purchase DJ Max Portable 2!

Glad to hear that the basics were left pretty much untouched from the first game... my copy has been lost in the post and I am irritated as hell, so wasn't sure how it'd turn out. The music videos sound promising, but then I remember how it sounded like a nice feature for Lumines 2, where, really, they weren't.

Speaking of which, this 'Orpheus' edition sounds like it got the works. It's nice that such a breadth of physical content was thrown in. Then again, for the price, there had better have been a lot aye? The 160USD turned me off even when I was feeling loose with the wallet when this was first advertised.

Great review overall. Particularly liked how you managed to photo document all the stuff that came in this set. Just one question though- how does Link Disc actually work? Does it just involve swapping out the UMD or are all the tracks in this game's disc, with just a method of checking save data or something?

Glad to hear that the basics were left pretty much untouched from the first game... my copy has been lost in the post and I am irritated as hell, so wasn't sure how it'd turn out. The music videos sound promising, but then I remember how it sounded like a nice feature for Lumines 2, where, really, they weren't.

Speaking of which, this 'Orpheus' edition sounds like it got the works. It's nice that such a breadth of physical content was thrown in. Then again, for the price, there had better have been a lot aye? The 160USD turned me off even when I was feeling loose with the wallet when this was first advertised.

Great review overall. Particularly liked how you managed to photo document all the stuff that came in this set. Just one question though- how does Link Disc actually work? Does it just involve swapping out the UMD or are all the tracks in this game's disc, with just a method of checking save data or something?

For Link Disc, it do involve you to physically swap out the UMDs. Just a note, for those that have the UMD

for DJ Max Portable International version, you won;t get to unlock all song discs since the version missing "Dreadnought", a song that take a dig at Bush B)

And I have another copy of this game as I accidentally bought another copy. If you would like to take it off my hand, let me know.

Great review! I've embedded some purchase links for the product on Play-Asia. If you purchase any product from those links, you'll be donating a percentage to 1Emulation. :o

• 1 month later...