[1/07/2007] Summon Night Swordscraft Story

Game: Summon Night Swordcraft Story

System: Game Boy Advance

Emulators: VBA

summonnightboxhs2.jpg

-------------------------------

Summon Night Swordcraft Story takes place in the town of Wystern, which is nicknamed the City

of Swords, where a tournament is being held to find the next Craftslord. You take control of

of a boy named Cleru, or a girl named Pratty, who takes part in the tournament. The protagonist's

father was the previous craftslord who mysteriously disappeared, and as the players moves along

the tournament, he/she finds out more about his/her father's past and experience several events

that happen during the tournament. To compete in the tournament, the hero/heroine needs to construct

his/her own weapon by finding raw materials in the dungeon with the help of a guardian beast.

--------------------------------

2457summonnightuindepenlz3.png

Controls:9/10

There are two sets of controls that you encounter while playing the game. First, you start off with

traditional "Overworld RPG" controls, which are simple to learn. Basic movement controls as well as

easy to navigate menus. So nothing really special nor complicated here. The second set of controls

are set in battle since the gameplay has a battle system similar to "Tales of Phantasia". The controls

and moves are easy to master and usually, you won't find yourself furiously jamming a button because

your character didn't move out of the way or block an attack. (If you do, it's cause of weapon delay)

summonnightswordcraftny0.jpg

Gameplay: 8.5/10

As I said before, the battle system is similar to "Tales of Phantasia". If you never played "Tales

of Phantasia", the battle system lets you control the character in real time battle. You get full

control of your character, able to move him/her around only in a two dimensional battle field. Your

character can walk, dash, jump, crouch, attack, guard, and call on a guardian beast during battle.

There are a total of five weapons you can craft: Sword, Axe, Drill, Knuckles, and Spear. Each has its

own advantage (with the exception of sword being the most balanced) as well as different attacks the

player can perform during battle. For example, the knuckles weapons is good for hitting enemies and quickly

running out while the axe is good for dealing huge amounts of damage. All weapons have a certain amount

of durability, meaning once they break in battle, you have to make another one. The durability is a good

idea to keep in mind when you fight in the tournament, and by simply breaking the opponent's weapon, you can

win the battle. You are also not limited to carrying only one weapon; you can carry up to four weapons and

one accessory, but you can only bring one weapon in the tournament itself.

Every event that occurs allows you to craft a new weapon, which is usually stronger. You can also gain new

weapon crafts by completing mini quests and breaking a bosses weapon (this defeats them also).

2457summonnightuindepenjq1.png

The Guardian beast is a pretty nifty idea. You can call your guardian beast up to 5 times during battle

depending on how much spells the guardian beast has. Your guardian beast can level up and learn more

spells as well as more spell uses. The great thing about this is that all spells are pretty much useful

throughout the whole entire game. When you call a guardian beast, you can sometimes move it around to

direct the attack into the opponent. Unfortunately, when your opponent calls his/her guardian, you cannot

block or move out of the way which is pretty lame, but neither can they. So in a way, the guardian is pretty

cheap in the tournament. You get your guardian beast (4 different ones) based on the decisions you make early

in the game. So choose wisely. :(

The dungeons serve as the main place where you get materials as well as gain exp for yourself. You can open barrels

to randomly gain materials and open chests. There are save spots as well as instant restore hp/mp points and guardian

spells (Cheap!). During the game, you usually get stopped at a certain point which is bizarre in my opinion. Soon enough

the dungeons get really repetitive and you'll find yourself just rushing through them in the latter parts of the game.

If the dungeons were repetitious, the gameplay was pretty repetitive as well. I used only two tactics every battle.

It was either equip the knuckles and run in and out, and then use the sword for heavier damage, or it was just calling

the guardian beast. I probably should have changed weapons at some point, but when you're trying to finish up 50 dungeon levels, I think

rushing through it is a better idea.

2457summonnightuindepenvq8.png

Sound:8/10

Not really sure what to say for sound. The music was ok, and sometimes intolerable due to being in the same dungeon for

almost the whole entire game. The same battle theme was used throughout the whole entire game as well, which wasn't that

fun to hear after my 821th battle. It'd be nice of them to include some more battle effects or different themes, but there wasn't really

much. Otherwise, not much here to say here.

2457summonnightuindepenvm7.png

Graphics: 8/10

The graphics features 2d sprites in the overhead view and the battle mode. Personally, I thought they were pretty well done.

Animations were pretty smooth for the most part. There were only some recycled sprites, but the enemies were usually new in

each dungeon.

2457summonnightuindepentk6.png

Additional Comments:

Overall, I had a pretty good time with this game. The story was pretty in depth and well done, although some parts were predictable. One thing that was nice

that after every day, you can converse with your Guardian beast or the other sub-characters to learn some side story. I'm not sure if interacting

with them more makes them appear with you in the ending sequence, but its a good guess. The extras after the game which include beating 50 more dungeons levels,

an incredibly hard boss (High Hp and you weapon will break), and fighting in the tournament fighting every human boss in a time trial (which lands you a new weapon craft).

You can also play through the game with the other character and a different Guardian beast if you feel up to it.

Controls: 9/10

Gameplay: 8.5/10

Sound: 8/10

Graphics: 8/10

Overall Score: 8.4

Overall Grade: B

I give this game a :)

Fun Facts About this review:

-First Review of the Year

-I started writing this review on 10-15-2006

• 4 months later...

I played the third one too in Jap. Got to love them all. The thing I like in 1 is that during battles against humans you must have a weapon. In the other 2, you can cheat by equiping a hammer and guard for the whole match.